• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I got 4 laps!

Yep, I came out of that tight corner in second and noticed my power was gone, went to go for 3rd and you can see the rpm drop like crazy. I knew something was up but couldn't really hear the knock with my helmet on. I'm just glad it didn't blow oil all over the track, and that I could still drive it on the trailer and to the garage no problem. I have an accusump and mikes oil pan baffle sitting in the garage, I was asking for trouble without either of those. Motor has 26k on it, the first 4 laps were a complete blast, I still left the place happier than ever and ready to pop a new motor in and get back to it asap!

Oh dude. I'm sorry to see this. On the plus side, u seem to be taking it in good spirits. 26K??? Yikes, these motors really are hopeless with stock internals. And just so you know, oil had little to do with this. U simply toasted a rod.

Bummer, i couldn't figure out what was going on, car is pretty loud in the video.

Do you really believe it was lack of oil baffling?

I'm wondering if the specific event that cause the bearing to spin was when you ran up into the higher RPM range coming into that corner and then used engine braking which took the rpms a lot higher (10:30 - 11:00 time range). Those transitions from relatively high rpms under load to even higher rpms under no load are rather stressful on the rods. On headphones, first audible knocking noise seems to occur around 11:50 - 12:00 mark. Sorry to hear the bad news.

I have no doubt it was lack of oiling, what else would it be? I have been driving the car for a while now on the streets pretty hard with no issue, I forget if it's left or right hand turns that starve these engines but it popped right as I started getting on it in the corners. There's a procharger coming in the mail for it and an MPV engine sitting in the garage, it should be back fairly soon.

I'm wondering if the specific event that cause the bearing to spin was when you ran up into the higher RPM range coming into that corner and then used engine braking which took the rpms a lot higher (10:30 - 11:00 time range). Those transitions from relatively high rpms under load to even higher rpms under no load are rather stressful on the rods. On headphones, first audible knocking noise seems to occur around 11:50 - 12:00 mark. Sorry to hear the bad news.

Yea I don't know what I was thinking with that downshift to second, it was ugly and way too early.

I have no doubt it was lack of oiling, what else would it be? I have been driving the car for a while now on the streets pretty hard with no issue, I forget if it's left or right hand turns that starve these engines but it popped right as I started getting on it in the corners. There's a procharger coming in the mail for it and an MPV engine sitting in the garage, it should be back fairly soon.

My recollection is that it was prolonged hard right turns on the Contours that was considered a problem at one time. Rossion Q1 owners say they have a defiinite oil starvation problem on hard left turns; the engine is oriented in the same way as the Contour although it is now in back instead of the front.

That's what i heard it first as well.

FastFord, when you dismantle your engine, measure your rods length, im curious if one stretched or maybe the bolts

It would also be cool to measure all the connecting rod end inner diameters to get an idea if bearing crush force has been lost.

I just remembered something; FastFord, did you have the improved oil pan baffle installed in your motor from CSVT#49's Group Buy back in 2012?

I just remembered something; FastFord, did you have the improved oil pan baffle installed in your motor from CSVT#49's Group Buy back in 2012?

I have had both the oil pan baffle from the group buy and an accusump for years now just haven't installed them. You may ask why not install the baffle? Because the front header has to come off to get oil pan out. So yea I had no protection against oil starvation, also note I did get an oil light after I had slowed down.

Does the front header have to come off to get the oilpan out because it's a Coug? I dropped a Contour oilpan to change the gasket just by removing the Y-pipe and the heatshield for the ac pump. Sucks, but track time sure is fun!

Does the front header have to come off to get the oilpan out because it's a Coug? I dropped a Contour oilpan to change the gasket just be removing the Y-pipe and the heatshield for the ac pump. Sucks, but track time sure is fun!

I'm pretty sure he has a set of longtube headers and the front header is one piece down and under the oil pan to the back side of the motor.....

I have had both the oil pan baffle from the group buy and an accusump for years now just haven't installed them. You may ask why not install the baffle? Because the front header has to come off to get oil pan out. So yea I had no protection against oil starvation, also note I did get an oil light after I had slowed down.

Well, we will just have to flog you with a wet noodle for that!

Well, we will just have to flog you with a wet noodle for that!

I know lol, thats why I am not upset about it much at all. I deserved it, just too excited to get seat time.

And yes Fuz is dead on with the longtubes.

I got the motor pulled and disassembled, I don't think there should be any doubt oil starvation is the cause here.

Back