• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What PSI does the oil pressure light come on? & What is the lowest acceptable PSI

Beans

Addicted CEG'er
I added a programmable oil pressure gauge, with alarm. I'd like to use it as a accurate as possible fail safe. So what PSI does the idiot light come on? What should it be at before its too late. Plan is to run Rotella 5w-40

My gauge sender is at the block, same place as the dash light sensor. *see pic* Ive looked around, seems alot of mixed info, especially searching different duratec v6 car fourms.

newpics123.jpg

- Blufuz hand

Can't say specifially, but I have seen my mechanical gauge reading 7-8 PSI at hot idle, and no oil light was on. It reads from the cylinder head, not the block. So take that for what it's worth.

Yeah head psi is significantly lower, and even less useful sadly.

Obviously i don't want to set it too low, then it would be too late. If i set it too high then i would be getting an alarm for anytime the car is up to temp at idle. So i need solid #

No idea what pressure the idiot light comes on, but I could probably get a warm reading off my car (in the block) if you're interested. I have an autometer phantom electric oil pressure gauge.

Back when my car was running I saw my gauge reading 20psi at idle when it was warmed up. Electric sensor at the same port your using.

I set it for 19 for now, that seems high.

Ill post later if my car ever decides to cooperate.

IIRC, at a hot idle I see ~18 psi at my remote oil filter using an Autometer electric oil pressure gauge.

Im going to bump this. I'm going to purchase a oil accumulator, not sure what psi electric valve i should get...?

My guesstimate would be 20psi as be the min block pressure I would want to see on this engine, from what I have seen. My D30 runs 45psi warmed up tapped next ot the oil pressure switch. Seems to be a lot higher than everyone elses but I am guessing most people here tend not to tap close enough to the oil pump to get a useful reading.

That oil pressure light is about ~1 psi iirc. Test it, Hook +12vdc one side of a meter, the other side of the meter to the sensor terminal. Put the sensor in a 1/8NPT coupler or whatever and adapter an air fitting to it, ground the whole assembly and the meter will show +12v. Put it in an air compressor and slowly turn up the pressure till you see the voltage drop to zero. This is what psi the switch actuates at.

​I bumped this because i thought my other thread didnt go through... OOPS!

I don't even have the sensor anymore took it off and threw it away. Pretty useless in my opinion. Say for example it comes on... Okay your screwed, thanks light. especially if your 1psi~ is correct...

My innovation gauge however i find much more useful. Alarm and lights to program it to whatever i wish.

so does this gauge fit inside an a- pillar gauge cluster and am i still connecting it to the stock oil sensor unit or am i tapping it to somewhere more useful

The innovate? Yes it is a standard 2 1/6" gauge You use there sender one for temp and one for temp.

You want it close to the oil pump, my pressure is a oil line from the stock location. My temp is at the head (probably not as useful as bottom end temp )

Back