• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

TPS on a 3.0 swap

bramily

CEG'er
So im getting a code for a bad TPS and IAC. My mechanic thinks that the TPS could be causing the IAC.

Question is, which is the right TPS for a full 3.0 swap?

Ive gotten 3 from autozone and they all look pretty much the same and all of them havent cleared the code. Been driving me crazy.

apparently "TPS" is too short of a search term in these forums because when I try to search it always says no results returned.

Im about to head to try and buy another so I hope someone sees this soon

which tps code are you getting?
i kmow on mine i had a mustang gt tb and the guy who built my car ( who i bought it from ) had put the svt tps in the mustang tb.
problem was.... svt tps rotates one direction and the mustang tps rotates the other direction causing a tps low voltage code.
i simply put a mustang tps sensor in it and the code went away. iirc, the taurus/sable tb rotates the same direction as the mustang one.
depending on your exact setup, this info may or may not help.
good luck man.

Ya, we need to know what throttle body you are using to really be able to help. IIRC Autozone also is notorious for selling the wrong TPS for our platform.

theres a difference in which way the tb opens between the stock, the taurus, and the mustang throttle bodies. i cant remember which, but i remember buying an tps that rotates the opposite way

When you put the TPS on, you should have to go backwards just a tad to get the throttle shaft seated on the TPS, so when you move it so the bolt holes line up you turn the Pot in the tps forward just a schosch. (so if you pull it off at this point, the tps unwinds and snaps back just a LITTLE bit).

Use the TPS thats off whatever the throttle body is from. You can easily test it to see if the closed and open voltages are within the limits of what the ecu wants to see with a multimeter. If its not (+/-.1) 1v closed, and between 4.5-5v open, you will get a code.

The tps and throttle body are designed together, putting a different TPS on that has a different clocking will cause a headache. ANY stock tb with stock TPS sensor will output from 1v to 5v.

see this.

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/4.6L-5.4L/tps-diagnostic-tests-2

which tps code are you getting?
i kmow on mine i had a mustang gt tb and the guy who built my car ( who i bought it from ) had put the svt tps in the mustang tb.
problem was.... svt tps rotates one direction and the mustang tps rotates the other direction causing a tps low voltage code.
i simply put a mustang tps sensor in it and the code went away. iirc, the taurus/sable tb rotates the same direction as the mustang one.
depending on your exact setup, this info may or may not help.
good luck man.

theres a difference in which way the tb opens between the stock, the taurus, and the mustang throttle bodies. i cant remember which, but i remember buying an tps that rotates the opposite way

The mustang TB plate does in fact open the other way. That's why those of us who have mustang gt TBs flip them around so you can use the svt TPS.

Back