• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1995 Contour LX V6 main harness rebuild

johnunderkofler

New CEG'er
Hello all! I have a 1995 Contour V6 with bad electrical issues. I have been told by the mechanic that for the most part most of my wires need to be covered again, due the terrible coverings ford used for wires. So I was wondering if anyone has done a Main Harness rebuild, or have any input on what I should do. Thank you!

I have done something a little different. When my 95's engine went bad I bought a 96' car and changed the complete engine and harness. It then became a 96' with the OBDII computer under the hood. The harness plugs in directly. My big changes to the donor parts was changing the harness to MTX spec. The 96 dash is electronic (early 95 are mechanical) and the parts plug in and work directly. Some differences with the emissions also (vapor lines from fuel tank are larger on 96') so adapting there was done. 95 has ABS run seperate from the car computer 96 runs the ABS codes thru OBDII.

If you can't find a 95 harness easily you might be able to easier use a 96-97 donor car for a harness and computer update. Look under the hood for a recall repair sticker then you will have the updated harness that was offered.

More or less subscribing........

I'll be inheriting my sisters 95 v6 5spd in 6 months or so because of the wiring harness problem.

The plan is to take out the harness and rebuild it...........

Back