• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

change of ecu

art

CEG'er
Am looking at possibility of changing the ecu on my 3l st24 to the st 200 ecu apparantly the ecu is the dame part number.. i will get the lockset. Ignition barrel also what else do i need to make the pats work. Will i need the pats ring on the steering column. What part is the pats module . Is that the same as the alarm and central locking module
how can i tell if the pats module is built into my ecu or seperate module

for us cars pats was external to the ECU on E1 cars (early 98). After that the pats is internal to the ECU (late98 to 2000). If the pats for your car is internal I would guess you only need keys and ECU. The ring on the steering wheel is an antenna only.

Am looking at possibility of changing the ecu on my 3l st24 to the st 200 ecu apparantly the ecu is the dame part number.. i will get the lockset. Ignition barrel also what else do i need to make the pats work. Will i need the pats ring on the steering column. What part is the pats module . Is that the same as the alarm and central locking module
how can i tell if the pats module is built into my ecu or seperate module

Art; if you detail your sig. we will be able to see which model you have and all the mods you have made ...... this will help members give you better advice .....G.

its a 1998 st24, it does not have the red master key , so is the later 2 key system and that suggests ecu will have pats built in
port matched st220 engine with all st200 upper parts, also headers, bat cat, and aftermarket cat back system
still with the beige injectors but af ratio dropping down to 10-1 piggin rich
probably will have to travel to England to get a good remap
the st200 ecu was better mapped , and the one I was looking at was coming off a 1999 car
but it now seems all st200s had knock sensors and mine does not , so sure that ecu will not work with mine because of that

to complete your signature

click on notifications
click on inbox
down the left hand margin you will see edit signature.
using thiis will mean your details will appear at the bottom of every post you make .... handy for responders.
You might be able to copy and paste your reply ^^^ straight in and save you typing it.

it's a 1998 st24, it does not have the red master key , so is the later 2 key system and that suggests ecu will have pats built in

my 1997/8 ST24 has a two button fob and my PATS is external... i didn't know having the red master signified anything. What is/was your original PCM code .. this info. is a better way to tell what you have. You could take your chassis number to the main dealers and they will give you a complete readout.... well they did for me.

port matched st220 engine with all st200 upper parts

does this mean you have a return or non return fuel system ?

still with the beige injectors but af ratio dropping down to 10-1 piggin rich

this is odd ... a 3l on 17lb injectors is asking to go lean .... your engine must be dumping fuel in to avoid damage .... unless you have silly fuel pressure or a modified PCM.

probably will have to travel to England to get a good remap

?? i thought your were in the UK .... info would help.

the st200 ecu was better mapped , and the one I was looking at was coming off a 1999 car
but it now seems all st200s had knock sensors and mine does not , so sure that ecu will not work with mine because of that

The SVT PCM has exactly the same mapping .... the question is which one does your car need. Not 100% sure the knock sensor is an issue .... it could be deleted when you get it remapped. ......G.

fuel system is return type, will probably just stick with the ecu I have and speak to a reputable tuning shop
have looked at the dyno print outs on the 3l conversions on the neco forum and can see some of them go really rich at the top end on the base ford map
I agree a 3l should create a lean condition , so why does the ecu decide to dump fuel before it starts to go lean at any point , my af is around 13.1 before the secondaries open then starts going rich , down to 10.1 at 6.000 revs and around 10.8-1 at the redline is it possible that at the top end the volume of air being flowed at wot on the 3l exceeds the parameters that ford have mapped the 2.5l for and then just dumps fuel as has no reference have a nice set of refurbed orange injectors to fit but that I am sure will have to be in conjunction with a remap

will probably just stick with the ecu I have
which is ??

is it possible that at the top end the volume of air being flowed at wot on the 3l exceeds the parameters that ford have mapped the 2.5l for and then just dumps fuel as has no reference

You could be right. The secondaries are definately choking the engine up to 3400rpm.... like running a small throttlebody. I would be tempted to remove the secondary butterfly flaps, leaving everything else in place. Check on NECO too ... i'm sure the guys have run this way and will be able to tell you what it's like.
Ultimately you will need a tune .... there is just no way around it..... G.

hi ecu is 9bbb 12a650 aac
not sure if anyone can find any info on it

Art, i think that is 98 BB ... also what is the 4 letter code on casing sticker ?

I'm going to the stealership tomorrow morning GMT and will ask ..... if you pull your finger out and get me the info. in time ...... G.

hi
sorry could not get back until now
the 4 letter code is ussr
who did the remapping to your st24 with the mods you have
pumaspeed put me on to a person they use for remaps , and he explained the volume of air my motor is drawing above certain throttle openings , will be outside the parameters of the mapping , so he said it then just reverts to the maf maps with an increasing fuel curve to the point it is dumping fuel

... don't worry, i've got to go back on friday to pick up the seal.

I contacted Dreamscience. I have no experience of tuning and i wrestled with the option to buy the pro-racer tuning package (and others), to go with my Xcal2.

In the end, i decided to play safe. Dreanscience have created a MAP which allows me to install the Vortech and 38lb injectors and the lightning MAF. I can now drive to the rolling road safely, all ready to create a tuned MAP. They charged me £50.

Thanks. What i really need is a special description file for my ecu that tells which map is what

looking at the PCM code you have .... i would say you have the stock ST24 MAP.

You now have an ST220 engine .... everything has changed and the PCM has no idea.

You have two options; either take it to a dyno and have it fully remapped or buy tuning software and do it yourself ....G.

Edit; the guy at the dealers said his information is that Euro cars swapped to internal PATS in January 1998, the fuel systems changed also. He couldn't get any more info from the system than that without chassis numbers.

He said you should take your chassis number to a Ford main dealership along with the chassis number of any ST200 car you take a PCM from.... to see if they are compatible. They can give you a full run down on your car's build and that of the donor car.

Remember; even an ST200 PCM is meant for a 2.5L engine. You probably won't resolve your problem... unless you remap the ST200 PCM.

thanks for your help, the person have been talking with says he is trying to find the special description file for my ecu that will tell what map is what , wonder who you would have to talk to at ford to get it , where abouts in England are you . there is probably only a couple of places in the uk that will completely remap something as old as the st24 and yet to find out who can

... i don't think Ford can give you that info.

I can't think what info. in your ST24 PCM is going to be any use to you.... apart from the USSR code label that the tuners use to buy the license to tune your PCM..

I'm close to London.

I went to Dreamscience for my MAP. If they can't help you, i'm sure they will know someone who can.... they were very helpful with me.

I take it you are looking for a 'mail tune'. Even after flashing the file to your PCM, there will be further alterations needed either by mail or on a dyno ....G.

no this person is in preston and I was given his contact by pumaspeed, what he is looking for identifies all the different maps programmed into my ecu , he says he needs this as he would have to change the parameters to allow for the much increased airflow,
then he would need the car to completely remap on the dyno

what he is looking for identifies all the different maps programmed into my ecu

Pretty sure all USSR PCM's are the same. Once he buys the licence for whichever PCM you use, he will have access to all the maps inside.

he says he needs this as he would have to change the parameters to allow for the much increased airflow,
then he would need the car to completely remap on the dyno
Are you sending him your PCM or do you have a scanner/flash tool ? ....G.

will probably end up waiting to next year as this winter I am going to rebuild the engine with some f1 rods, cp higher compression pistons and the st200 cams,
and after that it makes sense to have a remap done on the rolling road

I am going to rebuild the engine with some f1 rods, cp higher compression pistons and the st200 cams

i'm envious ..i have an ST220 lump hidden away and i'm looking for forged internals for it.... not gonna be this winter though .... i'll have my hands full with the vortech .... G.

Art, just seen a post by TREK and realized he has the same car as you with an ST220 engine installed....... maybe send him a p.m and see if he can help ...G.

Back