• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Removed AC, idler pulley makes a noise from 3000RPM up.

Kresnik

CEG'er
hey all! I just removed the AC over the weekend, and now I'm getting a loud grinding/whirring noise which seems from the serpentine idler. I replaced the idler pulley and found that the bolt holding the first one has started to back off, though the new one seemed to tighten down okay. Either way, I still have the same noise. The first belt I used was a 625k6 (62.5"), then used a 620k6 (62") and didn't gain any improvement. I notice when when I manually open the throttle plate that when the motor is about 3,000 RPM the tensioner rocks backwards, towards the idler. The Duralast idler's outter ridge will collide with the tab on the tensioner arm, so i turned the pulley to remove some material and now it no longer touches. Noise didn't change as any result.

I gotta make a long drive today and am at my witt's end, any help would be huge! :cry:

Not that it should matter, but I'm running an '05 Sable motor with the SVT timing cover, cams, etc. :)

Resolution: When putting everything back together, I put the proper bolt into the upper half of the alternator saddle, while using a shorter length one, threaded in from the right side, to hold the bottom part of it. I just removed the shorter bolt and put in the proper length one, on the correct side, and all is well.

Back