• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Timing chain

brett93

New CEG'er
I was just wondering if theres any get arounds like quicker steps to do the timing chain on my 2000 svt. Hanes wants me to do all kinds of stuff an I just want to get it done. Tips on plunger and tensioners. Ive done my zetec timing belt its almost same just 6cul an chain instead of belt an couple extra steps an tensioners etc just want to know if theres an easier way

Bump. I may need to do this soon as well. Otherwise I will just keep driving it and swap a 3.0L when the 2.5 lets go. Seems to run awesome dispite the timing tensioner rattle on Bank 1.

Hanes wants me to do all kinds of stuff an I just want to get it done.just want to know if theres an easier way

pay someone else to do it.

route 1 remove engine.. work on it from outside

route 2 drain oil, drop pan remove crank pulley, remove alt, remove a/c compressor from block, remove alt bracket, remove y pipe, remove passenger side motor mount remove p/s line, remove uim, remove valve covers remove injector harness remove p/s pump remove timing cover......

Are you sure it needs a timing chain or tensioner? They just don't wear out. Most people mistake that noise for a timing chain or tensioner when it actually is a rod bearing knocking.

Won't be fun, you can do it while in the car, just not a lot of room.

Going to replace the belt tensioner first since i belive it is the original. The noise is coming from directly where the tensioner/guides are on the rear bank. The car runs like a champ, so I dont suspect internal damage.

Back