• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Removing Vehichle Speed sensor tip - I do not like the Chiltons manuaL 99 svt 170000

Mr Bill

CEG'er
As part of my clutch removal , removed the VSS from the transaxle. This should be very easy. The problem I have is the removal and installation is incorrect, not even close and does not represent my part. Ticked off!!! Totally put me in the wrong direction. Never removed before.

I think Chiltons bases the manual on the first year or two of the car and the car parts design changes over time but the manual does not change. I think somewhere in the manual they state that.

Once I figured it out 2 minutes.

I would rather pay more money for a shop manual that represents my year.

The good news is in the process I noticed the wire coatings frayed, probably crossed and caused a check engine light problem I have been struggling with. The wrong VSS output can impact many other parts of the engine from what I have read. Its amazing the issues you uncover when you do major work on your OLD car. I already found a nut missing from my exhaust manifold, rusted off but bolt perfectly in tact. Anyone else encounter the same issues with these manuals.

At the end I asked does anyone encounter issues with these manuals. Also, I thought it would be prudent to share my problem with others especially newbies so they do not have to go to the trouble I did.

Having spent the past 40-some years wrenching on cars, generally using factory shop manuals, and occasionally using Chiltons and Motormite manuals, I'll vouch that aftermarket manuals frequently have mistakes, and sometimes they're more like glaring errors. For all my Fords, I have Ford/Helms manuals, they're too damn spendy to buy new anymore, but I have gotten very clean used manual sets off eBay, usually $30 to $50 +media rate ship. Very much worth the $ invested.

At the end I asked does anyone encounter issues with these manuals. Also, I thought it would be prudent to share my problem with others especially newbies so they do not have to go to the trouble I did.
Ah i see. Sorry, i mssed that. I did as well. Mostly with haynes. Especially their timing procedure writeup...

Thanks folks. I appreciate the input and will look for a used. Take Care. You guys are great!

Back