• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L swap done; issues:

Quicksight

CEG'er
Hey guys! I have my 3.0 in my CSVT and just wanted to ask some questions: so I'm driving my car down my road just for fun to check a couple things and all the sudden my power steering starts to go. I figured it was because the fluid was low. I added some. Still no power steering (these cars are fairly easy to turn the wheel without the power steering so I thought it was coming and going) about 200 feet From my house my wife and I hear a loud clinging noise on the road like we lost something lol. So I pull over walk back to see what it was. It was a pulley. Turns out it's the tensioner pulley, it broke right off the bracket that springs.

My question is this: has this happened to anyone else? Was this possibly caused because I don't have my AC connected so I have a shorter belt (the one that advanced said will work with an AC delete belt route) and it puts more tension that usual on the tensioner? (since it's shorter) or was it possible that the tensioner was just old? It was off my 150,000 mile 2.5 timing cover.

Also my battery light was on along with a lot of different things lol. Basically everything except the E BRAKE light is on, check engine, ABS, battery light, coolant light everything. Wondering if the alternator not being ran Cause the belt came off would make the battery light come on?

My other question is this: what common problems (or what not so common problem did you have while doing your 3L swap? I figure if we all share some common issueswe can help people avoid them when they do their swap :)

I haven't had the a.c. pump in mine for a while. I had picked up a belt for with out a.c.. If your belt wasn't running then you'd have the ps issue, battery abd alternator issue. Coolant light check the sensor connection, coolant level.

I haven't had the a.c. pump in mine for a while. I had picked up a belt for with out a.c.. If your belt wasn't running then you'd have the ps issue, battery abd alternator issue. Coolant light check the sensor connection, coolant level.

Ok thanks!

Any other issues people have had after their 3L swap??

If you were able to install the belt without struggling I'd say it's fine. They will loosen up a bit over time. Get a new tensioner on there.

Back