• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hit pot hole, tire sits at angle... Bent spindle or?

Westwildcat

CEG'er
So I hit a real bad pothole on the weekend and now my drivers side front tire doesnt sit plumb/level up and down. The top of the tire tilts in towards the car. I have drove the car a few hundred km and that front tire has worn down half its tread. I took the strut out and it is fine, its not bent, so Im wondering what part is bent or needs to be replaced?

any help appreciated!

Check the lower control arm, Mainly the ball joint. I bet it's bent at the ball joint. Compare it to the other side.

That would make it lean in then? It wouldnt make it loose? The tires isnt loose when you try and move it back and fourth. I will check that when I can put the car back in the shop this coming weekend.

My Dad bent the ball joint mount hitting a curb in a SUV. The tire was leaning out, but depending on how you hit the pothole yes it could make the tire lean in. The wheel was not loose in that case.

There is no spindle in the front of the car. If you bent a half shaft you would have horrible vibrations.
Check the lower control arm (with ball joint), and tie rod. You said the strut wasn't bent. You might be able to turn the steering wheel all the way to the right or left and look under the car and see it.

Here is what the control arm looks like. You didn't say what year or model your car is so it may look different as there are 2 styles.

mk80390-2.jpg

The 'gold' end of this pic is the ball joint.

Its a 1999 SVT.... So maybe that lower control arm is bent? I will have to check on the weekend..

I'd look closer at the strut, the most common place to bend is the shaft. Simple eyesight will often look all right until you push the shaft all the way in, then you find it is bent. Seen it more than once.

its very possible that the knuckle was bent. Happened to someone I know. replacing the strut didn't help with the alignment.

Im going to look at it this weekend again. What part is the knuckle? Pretty sure strut is good.

Back