• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine harness compatibility

tvissoc

CEG'er
I have a '98 v6 auto Contour. Can I use any newer automatic model harness as a direct drop-in?

I've attempted to repair my harness by grafting in connectors from a '99 manual trans harness. I'm guessing that I've missed something or botched up something in the repair process, because the injectors are not firing. I'm getting spark. If I shoot a shot of starting fluid in the tube between the air meter and the throttle body, it does fire.

The only reason I'm messing with the harness is that I had to do an engine swap after a spun rod bearing. The harness was a mess, so I decided to make repairs before re-install. Everything is hooked back up from what I can tell.

What else would cause injectors to not fire? I swapped out the cam sensor and that made no difference.

I'm probably going to get my harness repaired, but if I can find a good harness cheaper, I'd like to do that. I'm cash-poor at the moment and need to get this car back on the road.

If anyone lives near the Dayton OH area and is looking for a challenge, stop by. I'll buy the beer.

Thanks,

Tony

Tony;

check the three plugs down the pass side of the engine .... particularly the gray one.

Make sure they click when you squeeze the two halves together. .....G.

Yeah, I kinda did that already, but I'll check it out again. The center section on one of those connectors did come out when I pulled the engine, so perhaps something is not making contact quite right. I suppose I could do a wire-pierce continuity check on all the wires with the connectors connected. This is somewhat frustrating because I have no experience troubleshooting this vehicle at all.

I might end up parting this beast out and starting with a known-running car. Just need something running for my daughter who is now licensed to drive. :) I'm working on getting my XR4Ti back on the road, but I'm not so sure I want her driving a 200+ HP turbo rwd vehicle just yet. :)

Tony

it can be a little frustrating until you work it out ....

The injectors have a common live feed... so if no injectors are working, it might be a good place to look first .... G.

Well, I started farting around with that connector. I actually got the engine to pop a bit. That's a good sign that I'm focusing on the right area. This harness really does need repaired right.

Tony

i've got very thin zip ties holding my plugs tightly clamped. ....G.

After re-inspection of the injector harness that came on the replacement engine, it is exactly the same as my old harness. So... I swapped it out, and the car fired right up. Runs great with no codes. However, I'm on the the next problem. Metallic scraping noise coming from the area of the auto trans. Great! :)

Tony

Back