• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine lift support bar HARBOR FREIGHT where to hook chains on engine.

Mr Bill

CEG'er
Using a Harbor freight engine lift suport bar lift to hold engine in place while removing trans below.

Where are the lift holes if any on a 1999 ford contour svt or a safe place to bolt the chains on?

Thank You

I used one of those bars when I had the transmission out for an extended period. To do the actual removal most people just support the engine on a jack. I did this then used the bolt holes for the transmission for the support bar.

IIRC there are only two lift points on the V6, the right front and left rear as viewed from the front of the car.

I think the easiest way to do it is to support the engine underneath and then use the left mount point and the trans mount point on the engine. I used these when I dropped the motor back into the car. I think I had to use some extra chain to reach down to the transmission though. Require some creativity. :)

Tony

Nice idea. Very intuitive.

I will take a jack under the oil pan and add a few large squares of 3/4 inch plywood to distribute the load nd cushion the oil pan.

The oil pan is made of steel not aluminum, right.

The oil pan is strong enough to hold the weight of the engine. Many have done this, but the passanger side engine mount also remains connected and takes the weight also.

I wrapped a chain around the pass side motor mount and attached a flat fabric sling under the tranny to the support bar. I had it beyond the shift tower so it wouldn't slip up as I tilted the block up and tranny down to remove it.

Its been while and been working on my clutch removal. I removed the bell housing then the clutch housing to inspect bell housing. I'm re-connecting the bell housing but can't find torque specs or pattern. Also no gasket on belling housing , why? Al to AL contact.

All right according to the info in steps 25/26 of reassembling the transmission, the mating faces must be dried and the mating face that houses the transmission innards such as the diff, must have a bead of anaerobic sealer applied evenly on the face with a diameter of 2mm. The transaxle can then be sealed back together using the 16 bolts working diagonally with them all being torqued to 32Nm.

134-1.jpg

Harbor freight tie straps and a harbor freight engine lift bar. This was the best setup yet, I dropped it in with a forklift with the adjustable bar it look me less than 15 to have the engine bolted in and ready for hookup.

Thank You. I just completed my work. 6 months but lots of interruptions. Road my MC in the interim. Winter now and just in time.

Back