• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Planning to pull transmission and replace slave and clutch - first time/Questions

Mr Bill

CEG'er
How high to raise vehicle on jack stands to remove trans out of bell housing, 1 2, feet?

When you remove roll restrictors and suppport engine and transaxle where do you support trans and engine. Do not want to damage anything

I know you need to then loosen the engine mount bolts to let the engine sag a little, remove subframe bolts on drivers and loosen subframe bolts on passenger and remove transaxle mount and bell housing bolts but how does this drop slowly if the engine and trans is supported. Do you use a hydralic jack and drop gradually

2. remove front roll restrictor
3. remove rear roll restrictor
4. disconnect shifter cable brackets or entire shift tower
5. Support the engine and transaxle with jacks and wood or support on the engine from above
6. Loosen the passenger side motor mount bolt as you may need to let the engine sag a bit
7. loosen passenger side subframe bolts, remove driver side bolts ( I just dropped out the whole subframe. It wasn’t that difficult to get back but will need two people or some creative jack work)
8. remove upper transaxle mount
9. remove bell housing bolts

When you remove the roll restrictors, then loosen the subframe bolts about an inch

I put a couple of 4x4" blocks and cinder blocks under the pinch welds on both sides just behind the front wheel arches to keep the unibody up high. The subframe doesn't really need to be supported in any way. I had a floor jack under the oil pan with a 2x10" scrap in between to distribute the force.

after pulling just the trans last summer, i would never do it again. trying to get the trans lined back up properly is a PITA with the motor out, i cant imaging trying to fight it dangling in the air like that. i second pulling the whole thing

after pulling just the trans last summer, i would never do it again. trying to get the trans lined back up properly is a PITA with the motor out, i cant imaging trying to fight it dangling in the air like that. i second pulling the whole thing

ditto

By the way first hitting all bolts with pb blaster for a few days(soaking) and tapping each one with a hammer to breaker up the rust.

I found one muffler bolt with rusty threads but still good and nut rusted off.

Back