+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: 04/05 Port matched setup -- do I have a complete shopping list?

Default 04/05 Port matched setup -- do I have a complete shopping list?

Hello everyone!

I can get a good deal on an 04/05 Taurus motor to swap into my 2000 SVT. I read the forums here and at New Cougar and have put together a short list of necessities for this swap. I am a proper mechanic that has built a few motors, so tools and know-how should be accounted it.

What seems best for me, is to get the 04/05 motor, port-match it for the SVT intake manifold and to also swap in the SVT cams. With that in mind, here's the short-list of what I think that I need to make this happen. Please let me know if I'm right, wrong, and/or missing something.

3.0L Engine
    Head gasket set (least expensive way to get all of the ones that I need)
    Oil Pan gasket (Better now while the motor is out)
    New SVT timing chain, guides, and tensioner
    Porting plates & Coil Pack harness from hybridaction.com (?)

-- after the fact, I can look into a larger MAF, TB, and a proper tune. Since I'm staying as naturally aspirated, I don't believe that I'll need larger injectors (though a proper clean of the stockers might be good).

-- I removed this engine/transaxle in the fall to replace the transaxle, so I know that everything unbolts just fine. I already have headers, so no need to add 'em to the list.

-- Lastly, is there anything else that I should consider? This car is likely to remain naturally aspirated, so internal upgrades are out of scope/budget.

Thanks alot!
    2000 SVT Contour, I/H/E --- 1993 GT Probe, supercharged --- 1998 SubVert Trek 2.0, stock

Looks like a good start. So you are buying the 'head gasket set' but won't be removing the heads or using the headgaskets, correct? Just bought the kit to use all the other gaskets, ie; timing cover, valve cover, intake, etc?
    *CLICK HERE ---> 1995 SE 3L WITH MATCHING TRAILER <--- CLICK HERE*
    23 Contour / Mystiques and counting......
    I'M POWDER COATING AGAIN! PM ME FOR REQUESTS.

Quote Originally Posted by blu_fuz View Post
    Looks like a good start. So you are buying the 'head gasket set' but won't be removing the heads or using the headgaskets, correct? Just bought the kit to use all the other gaskets, ie; timing cover, valve cover, intake, etc?
    Correct. It'll cost under $100 to get all of the gaskets this way, and makes certain that I don't neglect anything. I could sell of the headgaskets to someone else on the cheap that needs 'em.

Otherwise, do I need anything else to swap from the 2.5L to a 3.0L and have a decent running (although not ideally tuned) ride?

Thanks!
    2000 SVT Contour, I/H/E --- 1993 GT Probe, supercharged --- 1998 SubVert Trek 2.0, stock

I don't really have a step-by-step build thread, but my '95 build is pretty much what you are going to be doing.

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showth...L-build-thread

Is it necessary to replace the chain unless it is damaged? Also what is the coil pack harness for? And one additional thing I would recommend changing depending on mileage/condition is the alternator. It's a lot easier to do out of the car than in the car.
    "Stallion" ---1998.5 Ford Contour SVT #5736 in Ebony Black/Midnight Blue ***8/28/13 now in 3L style!*** Check out the build/swap HERE!!!

"Chloe" ---1997 Plymouth Neon in Deep Amethyst Pearlcoat

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyricky93 View Post
    Also what is the coil pack harness for? And one additional thing I would recommend changing depending on mileage/condition is the alternator. .

O yeah I wondered that too, no need for any coil pack relocation/harness.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyricky93 View Post
    Is it necessary to replace the chain unless it is damaged? Also what is the coil pack harness for? And one additional thing I would recommend changing depending on mileage/condition is the alternator. It's a lot easier to do out of the car than in the car.
    My SVT motor has nearly 200k miles, and I'm not certain if the Taurus timing components will allow me to simply add the SVT cams in there without any hassle or headache. According to Rockauto, the Taurus timing chain has more links and a different pitch (144 8mm vs 122 3/8). If indeed I need to swap over all of the SVT contour stuff (timing gear, crank pulley, etc) then I'd much rather put a brand new chain in there than to hope the best for this one. Correct me if I'm wrong here, please.

As per the coil bracket, I am under the idea that the 04/05 valve covers are plastic and don't have the proper mounting spots for the coil, since they operate via COP. Or, can I simply reuse the SVT valve covers without issue? Mine are powdercoated, so it would be nice to reuse 'em.

I replaced the alternator about 5 years/60k miles ago. For me, I can get it in and out in pretty easily - my fingers are long and arms thin. It was a PITA, and if I have the funds for it, I would much rather do it 'now' than later for sure.

Thanks again everyone!

I'd stick with the 3L cams. I've done both swaps many times and I think the 3L cams are the way to go. Sticking with the 3L cams will save you a lot of time. I never noticed much of a difference. The 3L cams are supposed to provide more midrange power which is going to be more usable for most people. Up to you of course.
    Visit: 3LDuratec.com for a prepped 3L ready to drop in!

Quote Originally Posted by Kresnik View Post
    My SVT motor has nearly 200k miles, and I'm not certain if the Taurus timing components will allow me to simply add the SVT cams in there without any hassle or headache. According to Rockauto, the Taurus timing chain has more links and a different pitch (144 8mm vs 122 3/8). If indeed I need to swap over all of the SVT contour stuff (timing gear, crank pulley, etc) then I'd much rather put a brand new chain in there than to hope the best for this one. Correct me if I'm wrong here, please.

As per the coil bracket, I am under the idea that the 04/05 valve covers are plastic and don't have the proper mounting spots for the coil, since they operate via COP. Or, can I simply reuse the SVT valve covers without issue? Mine are powdercoated, so it would be nice to reuse 'em.

I replaced the alternator about 5 years/60k miles ago. For me, I can get it in and out in pretty easily - my fingers are long and arms thin. It was a PITA, and if I have the funds for it, I would much rather do it 'now' than later for sure.

Thanks again everyone!
    Yes you are correct about not being able to mix timing components between the 3L cams and chains and the SVT's. I didn't realize the SVT was so high in miles, otherwise I would have just reused the chains bc they are pretty strong and lasting. Also you can use the 2.5 valve covers so no need to relocate the IMRC and coil pack.
    "Stallion" ---1998.5 Ford Contour SVT #5736 in Ebony Black/Midnight Blue ***8/28/13 now in 3L style!*** Check out the build/swap HERE!!!

"Chloe" ---1997 Plymouth Neon in Deep Amethyst Pearlcoat

Your '04/'05 valve covers are metal but you won't be using those covers with a port-matched 3L setup. You will use you 2.5L timing cover, 2.5L valve covers, 2.5L lower intake manifold, 2.5L injector/fuel rail, 2.5L upper intake manifold.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast