• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car running rough. No CEL?

1999blacksvt

New CEG'er
Hi everyone,

So I bought a 96 GL with the 2.0 auto. At first it was throwing codes when I bought it so I replaced the MAF. Car ran much better but still had issues at idle staying running. Once you would get it on the highway it would run fine. Come to a stop and it would want to die.

So yesterday I decided to put in a new air filter and change the valve cover gasket. I also sprayed the throttle body with some TB cleaner. I hook everything back up and double checked all hoses, wires, ect. Everything was hooked up. Now it will not stay running and it runs horrible. Cuts out, loss of power, ect. I have checked the plugs and wires, all lines are hooked up. I even replaced the PVC and hose.

There are no CEL. Any ideas?

So the issue still remains????

I decided to change the TPS out and still not luck? I also changed the plugs and had some oil on a couple of them. Nothing too horrible. I'm also noticed a small coolant leak. Could this be a head gasket?

Right now the idle is somewhat better but it has a major loss of power and the entire RPM band sputters and cuts out. Still not CEL? Odd thing is it ran fine prior to replacing the valve cover gasket? Is there a cam position sensor located under the valve cover gasket? Could I have damaged it? It feels as if the timing is off?

Back