• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What does this connector connect to

tvissoc

CEG'er
I've just finished dropping in a replacement stock motor in a '98 v6 automatic. Having issues with injectors firing (I think). I don't think this connector will cause the injectors not to fire, but it definitely should be hooked up. What does it connect to? Everything that I can see is hooked up, but obviously I've missed something.

106_0262.JPG

106_0263.JPG

Also, any tips to help troubleshoot non-firing injectors. I sprayed some starting fluid in the side of the air intake where the breather tube hooks up. It fired when cranking, so I assume the injectors are not firing. I get spark, I've got fuel at the rail, etc.

Note: The harness was a mess. I repaired many sections of both the main and injector harness. It could be a bad repair or something I missed. I could be looking at replacing the harnesses.

Thanks,

Tony

Maybe for the fuel vapor recovery system vent valve on the firewall? In your top picture, it's to the left and down on the firewall behind the coil pack, it's a pain to get to...

Non-firing injectors might be bad/disconnected cam sensor. Spark means crank sensor is OK.

Thats the knock sensor plug back if engine by trans and exhaust manifold. If your harness is a mess thats your issue for the car acting the way it is.

So, even if cam sensor is bad/bad connection, I'll still get response from starting fluid? I think the cam sensor harness connector area is one that I had repaired. I have a spare sensor from my bad motor. Also have a spare crank sensor too.

regarding the connector I asked about, could it be the knock sensor? I don't remember hooking that up. I also don't remember hooking up the vapor thingy on the firewall. :)

I knew it was too much to hope for to have this thing just fire and run right off....

Thanks,

Tony

Thats the knock sensor plug back if engine by trans and exhaust manifold. If your harness is a mess thats your issue for the car acting the way it is.

Ok, so that was my guess. So, this connector not being hooked up would cause the injectors not to fire?

The engine will run with a disconnected knock sensor and a disconnected vapor vent valve. If you get it running for long enough, it will eventually light the MIL and pitch codes at you for the disconnected stuff, but you're a long way off from that.

The engine will run with a disconnected knock sensor and a disconnected vapor vent valve. If you get it running for long enough, it will eventually light the MIL and pitch codes at you for the disconnected stuff, but you're a long way off from that.

Yep, sounds like I'll be pulling the harness. The motor was a running one before dropping in. The old motor was a running one before a rod bearing got munched. So, I think it comes down to the harness. I'm sure my repairs are sound, but I probably missed something.

Tony

That's definitely the knock sensor connector. AND, it seems that I didn't even install the sensor on the block before I dropped it in. The motor I swapped in was a '99 manual trans and didn't have that sensor in place. I meant to swap it over, but evidently forgot.

Back