• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Freaking turn signal

G

green SVT

Ok well lately when I turn my signal to turn right and the bulb will blink fast (as if burned out). I've replaced bulbs twice, with no change. When it does this it gives me no brake light or running light on the rear passenger. Although if you look REALLY close you can see the bulb binking fast and VERY lightly. If you jiggle the wiring, it stops then starts again. So what do you think I can do to fix this, cant drive around without brake lights...BTW it has never happened with the drivers side. And also I switch the whole socket from pass with the driver to see if that was the problem, but it continued so its not the socket itself. Wires are not worn down either. Could I run a led from the drivers side into the wiring on the pass so to use the good feed from the pass?

well I did all that search and found that exact stuff before I posted here. It just seems that none of those CEGers have the same issues I have. Most of them say their signal just doesnt turn on at all, so I just thought maybe there could be some other ideas

Yes, some have posted that a fast blinking turn signal in the with known good bulbs was caused by a bad switch.

On my car, I had an intermittant flashes fast before it completely failed. A new switch resolved it.

There are other things that could cause it, including wiring to the tail lights, but I would check the switch first since that is a known problem of weakness.

ok update I took the actually bulb housing out and seperated the plug (blub and housing socket) If you look at this (hopefully you know where I'm at) the male end which has three prongs, the middle is all corroded and actually a few mm shorter then the two on either side. And the female black piece has scorch marks where looks like something is sparking or something. Ideas? I really dont think that turnsignal modulator thing would cause this would it?

Probably not. My neighbor had a melted light socket on his Taurus. I'd begin by replacing the socket and bulb, or try to clean it up (contacts) and use a new bulb.

well if I take the socket and bulb from the drivers side and plug it in it still does it which means its not in the socket nor the bulb. At least not the male end, could be the female end of the connection (black plug)

Back