• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car struggles with starting??

CSVT41

New CEG'er
I have a 2000 svt with the 3.0L in it and upon initial start up the car sputters real bad and then almost dies and backfires then it shoots to about 3thou RPM and settles down fine. Sometimes it will take 2-3 key turns though....Its been sitting for awhile seeing as it was handed down to me and I'm currently working on getting my license but i go down and start it atleast once every 2 weeks...Some suggestions were due to the cats being gutted it was throwing off some sensors but that dosent sound right. Any suggestions??? Help is definetly appreciated guys.

-Colin

only when its cold....i havent really tried starting it while its warm i did once after i had started it and it seemed to do it again but it didnt sputter as bad

Could be fuel pump/injector/fuel filter related or possibly a vacuum leak somewhere or simply a IAC..... Wien_Sean seemed to have kind of the symptoms you are describing. Will the car run on first startup if you are tapping the gas pedal to feed it some fuel? Try that once :shrug:.

as we discussed Friday night you most likely want to get a new IAC since it sounded like the one currently on the car is worse then the previous one.

checking the fuel pressure would also be a good idea. Also have you checked for any codes?

we had a code done a few times both at advance and autozone and the code came up as the MIL eliminators were bad and refering to the IAC we spent the 90$ for a new one so i hope it aint that...the fuel pump is in decent conditon as well

Could be fuel pump/injector/fuel filter related or possibly a vacuum leak somewhere or simply a IAC..... Wien_Sean seemed to have kind of the symptoms you are describing. Will the car run on first startup if you are tapping the gas pedal to feed it some fuel? Try that once :shrug:.
the only way it fires up sometimes is if i give it gas or itll just completely die sometimes i get lucky and dont have to...i had replaced my IAC so we can cross that off.....my dad did mention a possible a leak in the air intake manifold

check the pcv and associated hoses. check the one that goes to the firewall as they sometimes melt on the egr. I do belive a leak here can cause a no start condition, but it can also cause starting problems and often needing to hold the gas to keep it running.

check the pcv and associated hoses. check the one that goes to the firewall as they sometimes melt on the egr. I do belive a leak here can cause a no start condition, but it can also cause starting problems and often needing to hold the gas to keep it running.
that'll be the first thing i check once i get home cause we've already stumbled across bad hoses and replaced em just never really thought to look there

Maybe the IAC wire has been melted on the EGR tube. The new IAC you have might be good, just not getting a proper connection.

Maybe the IAC wire has been melted on the EGR tube. The new IAC you have might be good, just not getting a proper connection.
never really thought of that....ill see it tomorrow once i get back to my old mans house ill have to look at the wiring/hoses

Back