• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

getting highest hp out of the 3l

agreed, and all in all, I'd call that a strange looking dyno result all together. do dynos just randomly produce crazy looking stuff like that? I've never seen any, but I havent ever personally used a dyno either.

When talking about best power its all about the top-end package---heads, cams, intake.
I plan on doing a nice 3L next winter and it will have one of 2 options:
1--mildly ported SVT heads, possibly bigger valves (increasing intake valve size more effective in NA applications), big-bore LIM port matched, max-honed SVT UIM, SVT cams.
2--mildly ported oval port 3L heads, ported aluminum oval port LIM, ported or EH ST220 (I have one) and SVT cams
Either of those will have a custom SCT tune and also have a 65mm TB, 75mm ProM meter, NPG CAI, headers, and my existing SHO shop Y-pipe with hollowed cat and 2.5" exhaust.
Just my plan, people may argue forever on this, but I'm pretty confident I'll do OK :)
-J

2--mildly ported oval port 3L heads, ported aluminum oval port LIM, ported or EH ST220 (I have one) and SVT cams
Either of those will have a custom SCT tune and also have a 65mm TB, 75mm ProM meter, NPG CAI, headers, With a fully custom 2inch True dual exhaust.
Just my plan, people may argue forever on this, but I'm pretty confident I'll do OK :)
-J

Fixed :)

I personally dont see the point in doing the hybrid unless money is no object......... Price a headgasket and head bolt kit and you will see my reasoning.

agreed, I put a 3.0 in my car in the first place because of the price for the head gaskets and bolts, combined with the act of pulling the engine to do a head gasket.

if only the first engine had been as nice as the one I have now for the same money

I thought we were talking highest HP, if you're concerned about budget you're in the wrong conversation.
how fat you wanna go....how much you wanna spend right?
Seriously, just read my 2 posts in this thread...at least twice.
-J

yeah i know the title is misleading. sorry. budget is a concern but im looking for the highest hp motor to put in without having machine work done.

but since starting this thread ive gathered building a motor that could make alot with alot of motor work would be without custom parts...

p&p heads
larger intake valves
deck heads
3l block and heads
max hone uim
bore out lim
bigger tb
bigger maf
cold air

correct? then with custom parts you could go...
domed pistons
stroker???
custom intake
custom cams. some one has cat cams dont they?
larger bore?
with money its endless on what to do.

im gonna have to check what the local shop charges for some of the work to figure out how far i can go before putting the engine in.

I'd say you could pull off decking the heads on a full 3l and getting an st220 uim and 65mm tb, simplest and least amount of crazy machine shop time.

I'd say you could pull off decking the heads on a full 3l and getting an st220 uim and 65mm tb, simplest and least amount of crazy machine shop time.
Dude, do you think much before you post?
Assuming you can find an ST220 intake (good luck) I still don't understand you statement.

For yamaha racer, like I mentioned focus on the top end package---an engine is an air pump and you'll get more power with the heads/cams/intake then from machine work/rotating assembly.
Your list looks good, not sure exactly what you mean by decking the heads, I thought milling them for more compression wasn't a good option for the Duratec.
-J

I thought milling them for more compression wasn't a good option for the Duratec.
-J
It's okay to do...as long as you obviously get a tune.

The revised pistons have been shown to handle way more then we ever expected.

Getting larger cams...would only be positive if you have svt cams!

Why use a svt intake if youre going to go hybrid? Use a 98 3L style intake its biger and better obviously thats they its on the 3L. And look its similar to the st220 intake. Probably the same just a slightly different shape

Why use a svt intake if youre going to go hybrid? Use a 98 3L style intake its biger and better obviously thats they its on the 3L. And look its similar to the st220 intake. Probably the same just a slightly different shape

wrong, the 98 intake as a twin port with a long runner that splits into two, not as sophisticated as the SVT, but it does have more plenum volume and a larger overall flow capacity.

the ST220 is a metal oval port intake, hence why I said he use it, avoids the port matching and crazy air smashing into itself at the heads. I guess something I havent seen would be a 98 3.0 intake shoved on top of the npg lim, that might be fairly close actually, but idk.

biminilx said:
Dude, do you think much before you post?
not really

never said it didnt, just said you where wrong about it being the same as the st220. they look similar, but the inside is quite different.

I see your from atlanta, thats my home town. shoot me a PM man

Oh my bad lol. Well i guess it would probably be the same as the 3L 2K+ upper intake cause it looks the same as it too but metal instead of plastic. Aight ill holler at yo in a bit

Back