+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock Internals Adios!

Default Stock Internals Adios!

So after three engines, i've decided to wise up & go forged. My parts are all just about here for my Turbo build, & so i thought i'd create a thread for it. I'll be going with Wiseco Pistons & K1 rods. Now i've swap'd numerous 3Ls, but this will be the first time i'l be delving past the heads into the rods & pistons. I've done enough research to be confident enough to tackle this myself. But in case i run into any issues, i'd love you all's help. Couple of questions tho;
    The present 3L in the car that bit the dust has 18k miles. The car was in boost when the rods shot through the block spilling oil everywhere. I thereafter drove it another mile or so to get her off the road. The one i recently purchased from a junkyard that was prepped by a machine shop has about 150k. My question is; Is it adviseable to grab the oil pump off the 18k mile engine despite the failure, or ride the 150k one? Will any pieces of the destroyed rods find its way to the oil pump compromising it's function?
    Also, no reason i can't reuse the 18k mile heads right? Thanks all.
    Julian
    98.5 csvt #6226 of 6535
    Rally Inspired 3L turbo'd monsTOUR
    Modifications??? well...lets just say this ain'tcha grandma's contour

I definitely would NOT run the oil pump that has 150K on it... That would suck to go through the work of rebuilding your engine and going all out with forged internals...to have it fail because the high-mileage oil pump failed...

Someone else can chime in about the oil pump w/18K on it... not sure if you could sufficiently be sure it's cleaned of all metal bits or not...

... not only cleaning but score marks. Score marks = flow loss.

Look in CSVT#49's build thread for this issue .... G.
    ST24. LPG, 2001 ST200 motor, 65mm P&P'd TB, 80mm MAF, headers, lowered, sway bars and strut braces, 300/278mm brakes, 3.51 FD 3.0L tranny, Torsen, Fidanza.... Vortech nearly completed.

WANTED; Custom gauge guru for ST200 overlay job... pm me..

I wouldn't even consider using the 18k mile one
    '98 SVT E0 BLK/MNB#1663 3L Always broke.
    '99 SVT E1 BLK/TAN#0741 Sold
    '07 MAZDASPEED3 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Fighter View Post
    I definitely would NOT run the oil pump that has 150K on it... That would suck to go through the work of rebuilding your engine and going all out with forged internals...to have it fail because the high-mileage oil pump failed...
    Someone else can chime in about the oil pump w/18K on it... not sure if you could sufficiently be sure it's cleaned of all metal bits or not...
    Thx man. I did kinda know in my mind that I wouldn't be using the high mileage one. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to purchase another.

Quote Originally Posted by gorman View Post
    ... not only cleaning but score marks. Score marks = flow loss.

Look in CSVT#49's build thread for this issue .... G.
    Thx g. That's a whole lotta thread to go through. Do u remember exactly what issue with his oil pump he was having?
    Julian
    98.5 csvt #6226 of 6535

CSVT#49 was looking at using a pump from an engine with valve timing (mazda i think).... but after consulting on the Noble forum, he was told they were all the same.

Can't remember where in the thread that discussion is ... maybe a year ago ..... G.
    ST24. LPG, 2001 ST200 motor, 65mm P&P'd TB, 80mm MAF, headers, lowered, sway bars and strut braces, 300/278mm brakes, 3.51 FD 3.0L tranny, Torsen, Fidanza.... Vortech nearly completed.

CSVT#49 was looking at using a pump from an engine with valve timing (mazda i think).... but after consulting on the Noble forum, he was told they were all the same.

Can't remember where in the thread that discussion is ... maybe a year ago ..... G.
    Ok cool. Thx. From what I see online they aren't as pricey as I imagined. Any pros to getting a reputable aftermarket performance one over a stocker?
    Julian
    98.5 csvt #6226 of 6535

i'd pm Mike and he'll point you in the right direction. I'm sure if there was a better pump than stock, he would have heard about it.

I'll be doing a 3.0L at some point ..... interested to see how you get on ...G.

i'd pm Mike and he'll point you in the right direction. I'm sure if there was a better pump than stock, he would have heard about it.

I'll be doing a 3.0L at some point ..... interested to see how you get on ...G.
    True. I found one made by mellis or sumthn like that. This is my 6th swap. Once I get past the rods n pistons, it's cake.
    Julian
    98.5 csvt #6226 of 6535

IIRC Mike looked into the oil pump and came to the conclusion that the stock pump is good for plenty of HP. I believe he talked with some high HP noble owners running stock oil pumps. Sure he'll chime in.

In fact I think I have a low mile oil pump from Devins forged 3L cougar engine I parted out if your interested.
    02 Cougar: Street driven track car. Full 3L w/ boltons, HMS trans, 6pt roll bar, weight reduction, built suspension, 13" Wilwoods, 8" w/ 245's
    #4683: under the knife
    07 GMC Sierra Classic: Duramax/Allison, loaded

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast