• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cougar trans swap/svt upgrade

j-ritt99

CEG'er
Hey guys, some may have read my welcome post. I came over here from neco for help with my project. I have a 2001 atx cougar that currently has an svt light upgrade (uim, lim, and tb) and have been planning out a trans swap for a long time now. Well the moment arrived and i got an opportunity to pick up an mtx75 with a quaife lsd and an svt flywheel. I figured i may as well pull my engine to throw new gaskets in during the swap, and decided to upgrade the engine to svt spec as well. I have been in touch with a ceg member on Facebook and he was able to get me 19# injectors and an svt pcm with two pats keys and a remote, but him cams were rusty. Thats what brought me here at first. I found a set of svt cams in the classifieds and picked them up last week.

Ill be getting the transmission this friday. After that ill get gaskets, fresh coolant and oil, and proceed with the swap. Ill post pics and what not on both my thread here and my thread on neco, which you can read here: http://www.newcougar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=173530 . Comments and other input is definitely welcome! I know some may have ideas to help me out or make things go smoother.

Thats about it for now. Ill keep everyone updated as things proceed!

Awesome! I am looking forward to this! I have had a few cars that I wish were manual and always thought about doing a swap but never did...

Thanks guys! I cant wait either. I've always wanted this car to be stick.

I found out i need a few more things too. Sway bar endlinks, tie rods, e brake cable, and some minor repairs. Ill end up doing these things with the swap

Hey guys, anyone know if xgt1 2000 csvts with the returnless fuel system use 3 or 4 o2 sensors? I have to know whether or not ill have to put in a 4th sensor. Ive done enough research that if its necessary i know what pin in the wiring harness is for the extra sensor. But i have people telling me two different things on neco. I just need a verification.

Got the trans last night! I even picked up a set of msds headers from jaged also.

cid290_zps1de87cab.jpg

Also, does anyone have an answer about the o2 sensors? Still need to verify that

Looks like some good progress! Good luck.

Thanks man!

I also picked up a roush sway bar, tubular rear toe arms, and an underdrive pulley. Went the parts store and got my much needed front sway bar links, tie rods, and paint to make my headers and sway look like new again

Got my sway bar links in, tie rods, cleaned out my interior, installed the adjustable rear toe arms, and painted the rear sway bar. The swap should be coming in a few weeks here, ill keep you all up to date!

Anyone here have advice on adding terminals for the pcm pins in the wiring harness? I need to add a 4th o2 sensor for my xgt1 pcm to read, but the holes for those terminals appear blocked.

I have a 2k svt harness. I did an engine swap on my good car with parts from another. You also will need a lower engine cradle and engine mounts. Pm me if interested.

Everything is ready to go for the transmission! Got the clutch and a few other goodies today
Like this:

Stock
CAM01088_zpsfa843b4a.jpg

Magnaflow with resonator:
CAM01089_zps48a56709.jpg

Im starting tomorrow. All i really still need is an svt xgt1 wiring harness with the4th o2 connector. I will be getting msds headers with a second bung on the front one to allow for 4 total sensors. Once i have the harness ill be abe to button it all up

I don't want to sound too much like a jerk, but wouldn't it be safer to have some jack stands under the car ?

Mad Dog

jerk

yes it would, but what you dont see in the pic is a cougar sitting on 4 jackstands with the subframe the motor and trans sitting to the left of it. so if i had another one i would have given it to him

Back