• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

EGR Recirculation Modulator setting?

hypnotic3650

New CEG'er
Hey guys, just tore into my contour this weekend and did valve cover gaskets and some other little things and just wondering if that knob on the EGR Recirculation Modulator is supposed to be set anywhere in particular? I twisted it around just for fun to see what it does and can't seem to find anything online about it. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

I have never heard about this before. I always assumed it was just a cap and that it was able to spin. Really don't think it does anything at all. The solenoid controlls when the EGR valve opens, iirc.

It's just a cover for the vent filter on the EGR control valve, it doesn't adjust anything. The ECU controls the valve duty cycle to vary the amount of EGR the engine sees at various loads.

Okay I considered that too but it looks an awful lot like a knob haha. Well that eases my worries knowing it's nothing to worry about. Thanks for the replies!

EGR reduces combustion temps and lowers the generation of Oxides of Nitrogen. Anytime you burn fuel in air, which is 70% Nitrogen, and especially at high temperatures, some of the Nitrogen combines with Oxygen to produce NO and NO2, which combine with water to form photochemical smog and acid rain. NOx compounds are not the same as Nitrous Oxide, N20.

Back