• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.0L need some suggestions

shavedsvt

Veteran CEG'er
today i walked into the shop at school and was looking at my heads vs my teachers heads off of his 3.0L. he said i could use anything off the heads that i needed. well i noticed that i didnt have the waterpump pulley, so i took his off and was like wait.... my heads are different. mine doesnt have the extended part of the head for the waterpump drive. i wouldnt think this was a problem if i was running stock cams but im not. im running svt cams. i remember something in an old post saying to wack off a part or lobe off the svt cam so it would fit. but then i loose the water pump. and before i get the SEARCH! speech, im at school and i only have a 10 min. break to post and find out what to do. cant i just get an electric water pump to fix this problem if i shorten the cam.

Yes you can use an electric waterpump... But it might turn out to be more of a headache... I would just find the correct head where you can use the cam driven waterpump

i came up with a different idea. i forgot to say that its a 99 sable block with heads. because of it being a sable block the water pump is ran off of the serpentine belt. i was going to get either my svt cam cut off to the same size as the other cams or i was going to get another intake cam from the opposite head, either way all four cams need to be the same size. the only thing i am worried about is, when i put on the 2.5l timing cover the holes for to mount the water pump are the same, and it runs off of hoses, but are the water pump and all the other pulleys on the same plane. any suggestions, comments appreciated, any bashing about my set up is not needed.

I'd strongly recommend against the electric waterpump route. The one's offered are a big nightmare and not very reliable.

Now if you want to try and fabricate your own setup with a custom controller feeding, both ways, via the PCM then I do wish you good luck.

well its a sable block so it already needs the serpentine belt ran water pump im just worried that with the 2.5L timing cover the water pump wont work. like if its lined up with everything else to use that same belt. ill find out in a litle over a week.

It won't work there is no room! The 2.5L didn't have a waterpump on the timing cover so there is no mounting point. There is absolutely no room for a waterpump on that side of the engine when installed.

ive looked on alldata at school and the water pump attaches onto the cover by the same bolts that hold the cover on. they are extended. like its a stud hanging off the four timing cover bolts. and yes it will work, ive already tried. but as you just said there might be a room issue. no ac pump might fix this.

i would but theyve been hacked at. ported badly, and if i use his heads because its for FI so i could live with fixing the ports, the water pump pulley would be there but there is no location for the water pump because its a sable block. sables had the water pump on the other side.

Back