• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

4 bolt LCA's...better way???

stilov

CEG'er
Isn't there a better way or a mod or something? I mean I gotta spend an arm and a leg for factory ones (no pun intended) and then the bushing can break again?

Has anyone done anything other than replace them?

did u check bat? i think they sell the lower control arm or u can just get seperate bushings that bolt on if im wrong ill get corrected soon enough

is this a 2 bolt? i havent looked on my car yet but i know i need new ones.
lca2wm9.jpg

yes it is....2 bolt. They are the cheap ones...48 a piece through Bill Jenkins...with a ball joint!!!

there was one member that upgraded the 4 bolt arms ... he has pics on his car domain site ... I meet him but I forget who it was ... he built a 3L for his son and daughter ...

as for cost contact Nima (96blackse, iirc) he has them for a good price ...

This issue has been debated on these boards "ad nauseum". 4 bolt A arms are clearly superior to the 2 bolt arms with 2 exceptions-cost & ease of installation.

To the best of my knolwedge, there are no aftermarket bushings available for either design. Someone on the boards had his Dad fabricate solid metal bushings for the 4 bolt arms but they will be harsh, no doubt about it. Someone at NECO used to sell/make tubular 2 bolt arms with rod ends. They'll be harsh too, but if your car is a "track queen" who cares?

I've also seen some on the MEG boards which were 2 bolts with poly bushings, but unless they're a low durometer my guess is they'd simply pull out of the sleeve.

Ford saw the light and went back to the 4 bolt A arms on later Cougars.

There was a guy who fitted poly bushings into the 4 bolt arms on the prior forums and had lots of pics. I think his username was something like onefastdad, or gofastdad.

I also don't think anyone, yet, has done a 2bolt -> 4bolt arm conversion.

12,000 miles on the car and it is still tight. The ride isn't bad at all, it's actually quite nice. They are delrin bushings, not solid metal...

It's a night and day difference in how the car handles with the BAT kit and urethane LCA bushings. The car responds a lot better now too. There is still some revisons to be done for maintainence reasons but overall it was a great mod.

I'm thinking about doing a tubular setup when I make revisions, but I have a turbo system to fabricate first...

Pics can be viewed from link in sig., I believe page 3 or 4.

I have the 4 bolt lca's, I did like I did with my motor mounts, took them off, cleaned all the old rubber off and filled them with polyurethane from mcmaster-carr. I used the liquid 2 part 94a stuff, I have put about 8k on it since then with no problems, it doesnt really seem harsh but the steering is tighter

i am going to try and see if i cant get some poly equip and possibly fill the stock stuff, drilling holes all the way through with a small drill bit and filling them till flush....there will still be movement but it shoudl improve the feeling, as long as it'll hold up....

I've also seen some on the MEG boards which were 2 bolts with poly bushings, but unless they're a low durometer my guess is they'd simply pull out of the sleeve.

Ford saw the light and went back to the 4 bolt A arms on later Cougars.

Us meg'ers can aquire poly bushes that have to be pressed in the bottom arms/wishbones or LCA's as you guys call them. They're £100 a side but IMO worth it as i will only trash aftermarket or ford ones with 60mm drop.

I would be interested to see what upgraded ones you guys have as i believe our ST200 has different bottom arms but have yet to had this confirmed.

jcth1

Back