• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: Adapter for using 2.5" ID race springs on front upper strut mounts.

gmorrell

Hard-core CEG'er
UPDATE: I have prices.

The quote I have is $90 each ($180/pair) for up to 4 pieces, which is within $5 of what I paid for the original pair last year.

Price goes down a little as quantity goes up:
1 or 2 sets, $180/set.
3 sets, $170/set.
4 sets, $164/set.

Unfortunately, for these quantities, this is a part that gets knocked out manually on a lathe, so the cost is mostly labor. We'd need to get to 20 pieces (10 sets) or more to make it cost effective to put on CNC.

I don't want to make anything from these, so machine shop cost plus flat rate shipping, ~$10 I suppose, is all I ask.

Post here and PM me if you're seriously interested, and I'll get this thing going. Adam (Beans) is ready for a set. I'd like to have 50% up front to my PayPal to get this started, balance on shipping.

OK, I've had a number if inquiries about these adapters I made for my Contour's front "race spring conversions". (a.k.a. coil overs)

See this thread for pictures:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?78179-Fabbed-up-a-front-coilover-spring-perch

These are billet 6061-T6 Aluminum, machined to interface with the factory strut bearing and hold a 2.5" I.D. race spring on the other side.

I need to figure out how much serious interest there is for these so I can get a quote from the machine shop.

The first and only pair I had made was $175, so in small quantities, it goes down from there.

Please indicate serious interest, and I'll get something going if the price and demand line up favorably.

This opens up quite a bit of options, and peaked my interest from the beginning. Got any recommendations on a non bolt on struts that could be ordered with custom rebounding dampening ect. (aka not koni,spax ect.)

I like this design, is there any advantage to going to these over what is already included in a 2.5" kit like ground controls? Looking solid!

I think its nice that it retains the stock bearing. Maybe thats the best answer to my question....

This opens up quite a bit of options, and peaked my interest from the beginning. Got any recommendations on a non bolt on struts that could be ordered with custom rebounding dampening ect. (aka not koni,spax ect.)

One option I suppose would be to use the D2 struts with a 2.5" ID barrel spring and my upper spring perch/adapter. I'm afraid I don't know very much about the D2's, having only seen pictures, but aren't they adjustable for bump and rebound?

Koni will modify standard product, and they have several rebuild shops in this country that will build damn near anything you want for the right price. I've had single adjustable struts converted to double adjustable with custom valving, just be prepared to wait 6 months and cough up mucho dinero.

If you want to do a full ground-up strut suspension and cost is no object, the Koni 2817 series race dampers might be worth looking into. This is a semi-finished inverted strut with spring perches, and that's it, you fabricate everything else, including attachment of the strut to the knuckle and the upper camber/caster plate and spherical bearing. You pretty much specify everything here, right down to valving and damping. I've never priced them, but I can envision $1,000 to $2,000 per corner here.
http://www.koniracing.com/2817.cfm

Manual and data sheet:
http://www.koniracing.com/images/file/FULL_manual_v5,1_English_KC.pdf

I like this design, is there any advantage to going to these over what is already included in a 2.5" kit like ground controls? Looking solid!

I think its nice that it retains the stock bearing. Maybe thats the best answer to my question....

Thanks. I did them because I didn't want the stackup height of the factory upper mount AND a conical spring hat, this allowed me to use the longest spring possible. I also wanted the spring load path through the turning bearing and into the outside of the upper mount, like the factory did, rather than supporting the weight of the car through a conical spring hat into the center of the factory mount, which it really isn't designed to do. I put Contour strut mounts in a band saw and sectioned them to see the pieces-parts and load paths so I could understand where to put loads.

One option I suppose would be to use the D2 struts with a 2.5" ID barrel spring and my upper spring perch/adapter. I'm afraid I don't know very much about the D2's, having only seen pictures, but aren't they adjustable for bump and rebound?
Want one? You can have my old leaking one for shipping cost once it's swapped.

Those are cool 1K-2K a corner is out of my budget. I just never have been 100% happy with the D2's or Koni's ive driven still room for improvement.

I would want to get a set, but would be happy to see the price come down. What did you do for the rear springs?

I should have that money any time so you let me know when/where to send it, would open up a bunch of options for front spring lengths and rates.

Dropped ~$1K on them and I love their valving for DD duty, so yeah, I will be provided the supplied spring perch meets the correct diameter, if not, I'll get some new ones for them that will.

I apologize, I've been away for awhile, we had a death in the family (Wife's mother) and there was some drama, travel to North Carolina and back, etc.

I'll be out and about today, so I'll stop by a few machine shops and ask for some quotes. Either way, I'll probably just foot the bill to make a few extra pair and try to sell them as need arises here. I don't participate in the other Contour/Cougar boards, but perhaps some of you might know of potential interest there.

Sorry for your loss, I'm not picky as to price and I don't mind waiting so whenever you get time man, I appreciate the effort in general, thanks!

Whoops, apologies, I forgot about this thread. I have some prices for the front spring adapters.

The quote I have is $90 each ($180/pair) for up to 4 pieces, which is within $5 of what I paid for the original pair last year.

Price goes down a little as quantity goes up:
1 or 2 sets, $180/set.
3 sets, $170/set.
4 sets, $164/set.

Unfortunately, for these quantities, this is a part that gets knocked out manually on a lathe, so the cost is mostly labor. We'd need to get to 20 pieces (10 sets) or more to make it cost effective to put on CNC.

I don't want to make anything from these, so machine shop cost plus flat rate shipping, ~$10 I suppose, is all I ask.

Post here and PM me if you're seriously interested, and I'll get this thing going. Adam (Beans) is ready for a set. I'd like to have 50% up front to my PayPal to get this started, balance on shipping.

My Koni's are ready to go, just gotta order the springs, sleeves, collars, some more mounts and these of course. I look forward to driving the car with the new setup!

Did anyone else chime in for interest? I know that Contourguy19whateveritis has those morris dampers, he might want a set of these too.

Sorry, been a little absorbed with gutting and remodeling a couple of rooms in the basement. I'll sent Beans and SpeedingBolt a PM in the next few minutes. Will also PM DanMyers to see if he's interested.

Anyone else?

Back