• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Installed Bat struts and springs

I installed used bat struts and springs. I miss the svt struts and springs the ride is much stiffer with the bats. Its supposed to be 1 inch lower front and rear. Its 3/4 in front and 1/4 in rear. Either way I wish a company would reproduce the svt struts and springs or something closer to them.

The reason for upgrading suspension IS to have it a bit stiffer. The reason you may miss your SVT stuff is because it was all worn out and it was not as stiff, therefor more comfortable. You JUST installed the suspension, they need to break in and settle before the claims of lowering 1" will appear. And as far as producing an aftermarket piece to be as close to SVT, BAT is pretty much nailing it in the head, unless you go with auto store parts that were spec'd for non-SVT Contours

I would agree with rexxdoggy - this is exactly what happened with my BAT springs/struts - took 6+ months of daily driving before they "settled in". Now mind you mine is a '95 Zetec and this may explain why the relatively long time to "settle in". My BAT setup was spec'd for the V6 model - the Zetec springs dropped a many years ago.

Ok the bat struts and springs I installed were used. Im guessing they are already settled as much as they are going to. You are right my factory struts had 92k on them. My 2000 f250 crew cab rides about the same as my contour now and it has leaf springs and solid axles. Either way the car looks great with the new struts I guess it will take some getting used to. I have had three other svt contours all factory suspension.

Last edited:
I had BAT struts and stock springs on the '99 CSVT for a few thousand miles, my impression was the BAT struts had plenty adequate rebound damping, but seemed noticeably light on compression damping: The car pitched on braking and acceleration more than I cared for, which is why I went to Konis when I did my high-rate race spring conversions (a.k.a 'coilovers').

Having owned both STOCK SVT and my '95 'Tour with Zetec and full BAT suspension and full poly, I agree with gmorrell - compression damping is not that great. I would say the SVT was much more "settled" when driving as compared to my 'Tour w/BAT which definitely requires my full attention! Of course this is why I have used the term "tossable" in the past when describing her!! Much more akin to my '86 GTI with Neuspeed Springs and Koni struts and full poly bushings. FUN is another word I use frequently.

The car also looks like it sit realllllly low in the rear . Someone posted because of how the rear fender is shaped. Does anyone have any meausurements front top of fender to ground I can compare to? I have 225 50 16 tires.

i have massive problems w the rear struts. ill upload a pic later but they seem to just sag and sag and sag to the point they look blown out. this happens so damn quick for me.

Last time I put new struts on my Cougar, I took off a set of OBLITERATED Koni yellow adjustables and installed a new set of Bilsteins, while keeping the same Roush springs. The good struts alone actually raised my ride height CONSIDERABLY. If your struts were shot (which, at 92k, they certainly were), your suspension was sagging big time, like mine was.

Not sure what you're expecting, exactly, but it sounds like the new parts are doing exactly what they are supposed to do.

Back