• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone need head work?

crewchiefpro

Hard-core CEG'er
I have a really good customer who is a professional machinist. I have been after him to work on my Contour engine but he always thought it would be too difficult to set up his machines for our type of engines.

He finally agreed and just got done with my cylinder heads. He bought the tools to take them apart and found some things with the air flow he changed. They have a brand new machine that makes the valves and seats perfect and what a difference between the old and new. He cleaned and decked them also.

I was so impressed that I volunteered him to machine my block for the new pistons. He has crazy attention to detail, and that only happens when you are a machinist your entire adult life.
heads..jpg
heads2..jpg

His name is Steve Maas. Pricing is very reasonable because he lives in a little town in central Illinois. Phone is 309-840-4000.

just a suggestion....

maybe he could prep. some heads and put them in the classifieds.

I remember when bored out LIM's were being offered.... loads of questions.... not much else. ....G.

I am actually in the marked to have a set of 2001 Cougar heads "refreshed"

I am building a 3L Bottom end with 2001 Cougar heads, to get the better oil drain passages, and keep the dual-port.

I snagged the heads from a junkyard, so the condition is pretty much unknown at this time.

Don,

You weren't Lyin about the pricing being reasonable to have a set of heads "freshened up"

It is seriously worth it to package the heads up, ship them to Steve, and ship them back.

I am so super stoked about my build now.

Ah yes we at Caterpillar have all kinds of standards we make our suppliers meet.

In any case what is the pricing? I'd be curious how he compares to BPE Racing in Cali. BPE Racing did all of the work on my heads and they did a fantastic job too. However they have a ton of experience with our heads too as they have been used by a lot of the Noble guys. I had them flow test mine after the their stage II port and polish work and there was significant gains.

That said did you have yours flow tested to see a before and after? That would be interesting to compare as well.

Apparently the original post was unclear. I did not send the heads to be ported since the ports already flow pretty well. I sent them to be surfaced and have the valves cut back to have a better angle, much like we do with the drag race motors.

He cleaned the heads, replaced the oil seals, and replaced any defective guides. The magic was really making everything better than new, plus slightly changing the angles on the valves to flow better. I believe he cuts 4 angles into the valves for better sealing and to make them flow better. He removed casting flash and cleaned up the ports. Probably won't see much in performance until higher RPM but they are optimized by an anal retentive machinist.

Price was around $350 if memory serves correct.

i just watched a video i think im gonna try this myself. it takes more time than anything im going to start with polishing the combustion chambers.

10562958_10152624270561823_6503719981815259653_n.jpg

Was I right, OR was I right? That kind of detail isn't something you can get from most machine shops. Make sure you put the cams in correctly, we just put them in and slightly tightened them down. You supplied two different heads but he made sure they were perfectly flat, and the valve job was perfect. I was there watching, he does amazing work.

I just realized I still have the chains. Went racing, forgot all about it. Still need them?

Probably need the chains, haha.

I'm attempting to build a 'new' motor so I can just swap-a-rooni over a weekend.

I am going to get new cam seals etc.

Tearing into the bottom end soon as well.

Crewchiefpro/Dieschwarzung,

Did you guys go with 3L valves or just the dangle job with 2.5's?

Mine were 3.0 heads already. I think his were too, such a small difference in size I didn't even check his.

My heads were from a 2001 Cougar. nothing fancy.

Harder Valve seats according to Steve.

I am going with a 3L Bottom-end (not hybrid, full custom) so i'm getting different rods and pistons.
That math has yet to be done.

NECRO-POST.

I finally, 6 years later, tore into the bottom end I bought from Tasso ten years ago from CEG.

It was clean enough to eat off.

CCP, What pistons / Rods did you go with, and aprox what was the final compression ratio?

Back