• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Steering wheel popped, now turns endlessly

KOALA

CEG'er
I was trying to turn my car wheels all the way to the left the other day so I could reach the the shift linkage. And in doing so I popped the steering wheel? I basically turned it until it couldn't turn anymore and then something popped really loud and the wheel just turns in a circle now making a popping sound when the resistance gets high again.
The wheels still move sort of.
I also noticed when I was down changing the clutch master, that there appeared to be a bolt missing out of the steering barrel. IDK if that has anything to do with the steering wheel popping though.
IMG_38241_zps71f2150d.jpg

looks like you may hae bent the folding arm. I have one with a bolt if you want to change it out.

its the parts of the column that you need to fold up in order to remove the steeing linkage from the rack. That is the moveable parts the the missing bolt is supposed to go through

i just put a screw in the hole and a bolt on the other side of the screw and it seems to be holding for now..,

Yeah don't drive it like that, at all. That bolt is literally what holds your steering column on the steering rack maintaining your ability to steer, as you found out. The bolt is even called out in the service manual to not be reused if removed, as it's about as safety critical as fasteners get. Don't kill yourself or others; buy a new one.

Yeah don't drive it like that, at all. That bolt is literally what holds your steering column on the steering rack maintaining your ability to steer, as you found out. The bolt is even called out in the service manual to not be reused if removed, as it's about as safety critical as fasteners get. Don't kill yourself or others; buy a new one.

I literally only needed it to move from one parking space to another, thanks for telling me that though!

looks like you may hae bent the folding arm. I have one with a bolt if you want to change it out.

How much did you want for the bolt?

I'm concerned about the appearance of your steering coupler, the left side leg looks to have some fractures. If this breaks, you are facing a loss of steering situation.

Please take a closer look before you drive it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cropped_steering&#.jpg
    Cropped_steering&#.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0
Yes, please do. Power steering does help to bring the seemless movement but with a part that's very critical to steering, inspect it. God forbid something happens out of no where and it randomly breaks because it was already weakened before

I'm concerned about the appearance of your steering coupler, the left side leg looks to have some fractures. If this breaks, you are facing a loss of steering situation.

Please take a closer look before you drive it.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I didn't readily notice any cracks or fractures but I'll look closer today.

I just took a closer look at it, and what you are seeing is just silvery scratches, I didn't feel any actual fractures/cracks, there all just surface scratches.

I looked at my spare steering column...the "clamp" that is in the pictures.....it has a retainer of sorts that clips into place. I do not see this in your pics. This is on the piece that has the "rivet" thru it. Acts as a 'security' for the rivet? Not sure on that, but it is definately there in my spare.

it only fits one way if you feel the rack shaft (lol) you will see that it has a narrow side and a wide side like this / \

yeah, thats what I was thinking...

how would one correct if their spline connection in the steering shaft was off a tooth? a simple wheel alignment would mess up the on center feel as the left and right side of the rack would be under uneven pressure, but taking the steering wheel off and turning it one turn would mess up the clock spring.

is there any way but to drop the subframe to realign the spline shaft?

is there any way but to drop the subframe to realign the spline shaft?

Have you counted the threads sticking out of your track rod ends ?

If you're lucky, they'll be uneven ... as is usually the case.... and hopefully will be why the steering wheel is off center and not because of the spline on the rack.

In which case, add one turn to the outer tie rod shaft on one side and subtract one turn on the other until the steering wheel centers .....G.

no, the spline came loose (long story) and I counted 32 turns lock to lock on the wheel, so set the wheel to 16 turns (centered) and then measured the distance from rack to rod eng on both sides and centered it up, then pulled it back together. now, with everything together, it is off by one tooth.....

trying (and hoping) to figure out a way to correct this without dropping the subframe.

at the rod end it is off by like 1/2 of a ridge in the tie rod boot, but in the car the top of the wheel is pointed between one and two o'clock when the wheels are straight...

Back