• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

NPG FSVT front and Hawk pads, questions.....

blu_fuz

New Member Classroom vulture
So I just installed the NPG front brake kit on my brother's '99 SVT. That uses the Focus SVT front rotor on the Contour.

The NPG install was fine, plenty of clearance between the rotor faces and the caliper bracket so there is no rubbing there.

But, what about the increased rotor overall thickness combined with the oversized Hawk brake pads?

There is a constant rubbing from the front brakes because the Hawk pad thickness is just too much combined with the FSVT rotor thickness.

What are the options? Go back to an OEM pad? Grind some space out on the caliper/bracket to get these new parts to work smooth? Keep running the way it is and when the pad wears down then they won't rub? Plane down the Hawk pads?

Any help/info is appreciated.

I want to avoid warping the rotor and get rid of this constant dragging noise.

7876_10153118510425394_1118844492_n.jpg

560509_10153118514255394_1503172894_n.jpg

I ran into something some what similar when I tried to replaced the rear brake pads with the NPG kit. I haven't changed them yet but I started to sand down the brake pad to make it fit.

Also something that was just posted about ... the FSVT brake pad will fir the stock Contour calipers and you get full disk coverage. So if that is indeed the case perhaps the FSVT brake pads are also thinner to make them fit and you could buy a set of those.

I popped the old stock brake pads in for now and everything works good.

I was just looking for the thread that said something about the Focus pads fitting the Contour caliper. This is the front caliper we are talking about correct? Are there any other wider pads or calipers or something we can do for the damn rear??

My understanding is that Hawk pads run a little thicker then your normal pad.
I think these questions were raised when doing Milan's Rear BBK. Might want to revisit that thread.

Back