• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CD4E Faq

unisys12

CEG'er
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...655008&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

Yeah... I'm a little lazy. Ok! A lot lazy! But here is a ton of CD4E info that everyone with one might need! :crazy:

If you have additions or additional info, then send me a PM and I will research your information. If found viable, then I will add it. If not, then I will PM back with information to help you out or lead you somewhere that will give you the info you need. :cool:

Excellent FAQ.
How about adding something about the fact that there are 4 different automatic transmissions for the '98 V6 alone and they are not interchangable. I got very limited info on this when I was getting ready to buy a replacement transmision but the fact remains that there are 4 different trans codes for this year alone is a faily important information.

Imo, where did you get that info? If you're already familiar with the problem, here's your chance to contribute. Get some additional detail/specifics & post it up!

Most of the info I got was from car-par.com. It's the website that links most wrecker's inventory in North America. If you look for an auto trans for the '98 it wil come up with about a dozen choices. Only one manual avaiable for the v6 and one for the I4 but then when it comes to auto transmissions, there are 4 differnet coded autos for the V6 and I think jsut as many for the I4.

I've asked a local transmisson shop about what the differences are and they didn't really know. All they suggested was to stay with a maching code transmission. Got the same reply from the local junk yard too. Their database only said the the code must match or the transmission will not work properly. If the codes are different it might shift at the wrong spots or do things that are not normal.

The weird part is that certain trans codes ARE NOT region specific. If it was, I could maybe understand the logic, but since it's not, it makes no logical sence to me why Ford did what they did.

I've asked a local transmisson shop about what the differences are and they didn't really know. All they suggested was to stay with a maching code transmission. Got the same reply from the local junk yard too. Their database only said the the code must match or the transmission will not work properly. If the codes are different it might shift at the wrong spots or do things that are not normal.

I found this statement in the FAQ and I believe it addresses the differences attributed to the 1998 model:

"The only real performance mods you can do to the CD4E is take the Direct and Coast clutch packs from the 98-2000 models, which host High-Energy Kevlar Composite clutch plates, and the 2000 model CD4E found in the Escape and Tribute also have a wider High-Energy band."

The change-over from the two clutch packs may not have taken place at the same time, and valve body modifications and/or PCM program changes must have been required to compensate at each stage. That's my guess.

And yes, I verified that there are in fact 4 variations of the CD4E for the 1998 model year for each engine (eight trannies), so that matches up with my theory, I think.

Unfortunately, theory won't help anybody get a tranny, but a place called Wholesale Transmission Parts in Florida will. They have an Ebay deal on the CD4E for $599 SHIPPED. I suspect they'll be able to build a CD4E that will work flawlessly in any application, and for that price the bone yard can take a hike!

They were quite knowledgeable and helped me build a custom CD4E to mate a 3L into my 'Stique. Took' an extra day to make sure the sensors & connections would mate up to my car, but I'll have a Mazda Tribute tranny designed for the extra 3L power. AND I'll have a WARRANTY if anything goes wrong - Insisted on that and paid extra for it.

so when replacing tranny, is just the suffix important or do you have to match up the whole id # ?

so when replacing tranny, is just the suffix important or do you have to match up the whole id # ?

Likely the whole number will have to match. Contact a tranny rebuilder to confirm. I just got a CD4E to bolt to my 3L from a place called 'Wholesale Transmission Parts' here in Florida. They've been selling the CD4E for $599 shipped. For under a grand you get the tranny with 5 year warranty and no core charge.

Well the four letters and the two after the dash are what you are after. That's the transmission code. The rest is either a serial number or a some sort of a manufacturing code. Either case, those are not important. Appears that these transmissions are the same in both '98 and '99 cars.

Here are the choices for the 98 ATX:

F73P-AA
F73P-AB
F83P-CA
F83P-CB

I hope this helps!

Build date is important at least in '98 model as there were some changes made to forward and coast clutch in mid year. It affects the choice of the forward/coast/direct cylinder, there are several versions of it.

Build date comes from the bottom line on tag, last 8 numbers which are in 2 sets of 4. Group of 4 next to last 4 is year/date, first digit is year (3) for 1993, next 3 are for day in the year (365) for Dec 31. Entire group number is 3365. Another example (4001) would be Jan 1, 1994. The last 4 numbers in a group are for the trans unit built that day, or (0050) is fiftieth trans made that day.

Back