• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98+ CSVT CLOCKS/PATS Install with Pictures

naujcdl

No, I'm not the coffee guy
Applies if not to all, most of the contours with a PATS light already and common harnesses/colors.

I will post pictures now explaining all the work involved and which way it worked best for MY car, aka, you can guide yourself off it and see where the variations are.

AS ALWAYS, whatever i post is what i did BUT it does NOT constitute a clear and exact version of how you will get your car done and i take NO responsibility on your car's mishaps if you fail to follow my directions, to the most accurate and engineered logic behind it.

Things you will need:
Splicer, wire stripper, electrical tape, TIME and loving your car to get it done. :crazy:
Here you go:

My PATS/CLOCK came with the five wire harness included, which included the colors as follows:
BLACK/ORGANGE, this went to the dimmer power (happens to be black also, and labeled as such on the OEM harness, hard to miss...
WHITE/RED(PINK), this went to the dimmer main power wire, which happens to be off the OEM harness in the same color sequence. It matched.
BLUE(WHITE), this went to my 12v power source wire (in my case the cig lighter).
ORANGE, this went to the orange wire on the back of the original PATS or your power to the PATS light/PATS system if you WIRE IT that way....I have no idea on how that is wired, so don't ask or ask another member...
BLACK/ORANGE, that is the wire that goes to ground.

Pictures:
PATS PREPARATION, HARNESS MODIFICATION
Unplug your current only PATS accessory light/plastic trim piece by prying it out with a screw driver and towel to not damage your now classic car main dash bezel.
After that you unplug your PATS/wiring is ready, you should have a plug with the leads on it noted above ORANGE, BLACK/ORANGE.

NOTE: if you have the pats, and your clock/pats has the harness you want to either take the original OEM plug and take out the leads out of the harness or cut them, BUT YOU ARE on your own, i post pics to make it easier to understand.

DIMMER
The dimmer harness is easy to get to only you have to take out ALL the screws that are part of the radio/dimmer/hvac bezel. Too easy to post pictures but what you do is take out all the screws on the underneath of the radio area of the bezel excetp the middle ones that are to support the radio internally. And while you take this out PLEASE take the cupholder/cig lighter assembly out of the way by two screws on each side and some wiggling around and you are good to go for the following:

Then: you have this harness connector to the dimmer (yellow in my case) which has a ground, white/red and i guess the other one is for something i have no idea on...

Grab about 8" of the wire you have, electrical tape and strip it to connect it to the two wires i have connected, which are white/red from Dimmer to white/red PATS/CLOCK harness, as well as, BLACK TO BLACK/ORANGE on PATS/CLOCK harness.

MAKE SURE you have enough wiring from the dimmer harness to the PATS/CLOCK harness as you will need the wires to have enough play when on the back of the dash area to fit good.

CIGAR LIGHTER HARNESS (12V)
You will need about a 1 foot of wire for the install or crimping, splicing you'll need to do as noted:

The harness for the cig lighter has two wires, ground/power, hook up the power to the final BLUE/WHITE wire off the PATS/CLOCK harness. Your power wire is the orange/yellow or orange itself. After that i just realized you could wire the ground off your new PATS/CLOCK harness to this but meh, you can find out if it worked, on your own, this is a GUIDE, not a technical SOP.

After this, TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST, and you should see if all is connected as told the clock and the PATS light blinking.

THAT SHOULD DO IT, good luck with this to all that try it as i had and it worked out as expected, FINALLY NOT HAVING TO get the phone off sleep mode while driving.

Back