• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dyno vs. Mailorder

CLASSVT

Veteran CEG'er
I've read some posts and did a basic search for this, but haven't seen much on the topic. I'm very close to Brenspeed here in Indiana, and will be purchasing a tune from them soon. The guy I've been emailing has mentioned it not being worth doing a dyno tune, and to just to a xcal/mailorder. What are the real benefits of paying extra for a dyno tune? I understand it's more expensive, but that's not an issue that I'm worried about. I want to get the best tune I can, and if the dyno tune will be significantly better (subjective I know) then that is the route I want to go. Thanks for your help.

It really depends on the car/setup. Brenspeed knows what they are doing and the setups don't vary much on these cars so they will generally have a calibration for most available mods. I have a mail order from Brenspeed and have been very happy with it. The tune itself is great, the car runs very well, the customer service is TOP NOTCH, and the price is right.

In my opinion a dyno tune on ANY car is a waste of money without getting a proper partial throttle street tune done first (unless its a load baring dyno which can do it all).

When I was replied back from Brenspeed, they said they wouldn't be able to tune my 3.0L?

When was this? I have been talking with Miles and Brent who are more than familiar with 3L swaps on these cars. There is NOTHING to tuning a 3L that is any different from tuning a 2.5 anyway. They are limited by the tables that SCT puts together for whatever your ECU code is. They all start out as 2.5 tunes, change fueling, change spark, etc.

If you are interested in a proper 3L tune from Brenspeed please PM me your info and I'll put you in contact with the right people. I'm going to try and get on the local dyno next week but the logs say it all. Fuel Trims are spot on, car runs strong to red line, idle is smooth, power curve is phenomenal.

Some emails mentioning the 3L swap, never questioned it once, in fact all he wanted to know was if I was deleting the IMRC or not.
Read from the bottom to the top.

OK thanks

PLEASE! Do not delete e-mail history.

Brent
Brenspeed, LLC
P: (574) 594-9559
F: (574) 834-5628
CLICK HERE FOR A VIDEO ON OUR HISTORY AND FACILITY TOUR WWW.TOURBRENSPEED.COM

Sent: Friday, February 01, 2013 11:31 AM
To: Brenspeed
Subject: Re: QUESTION ON CALIBRATION

I am keeping the IMRC on the car.

Ted

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 1, 2013, at 10:04 AM, "Brenspeed " <sales@brenspeed.com> wrote:

That 3L swap is not using IMRC's correct? Im digging up all my contour files and I know most people in the past did not have the IMRC's I just want to make sure your 3L conversion does not have them from a tuning stand point...because it matters....

Thanks!

Brent
Brenspeed, LLC

Should be able to get this out Friday.

Brent
Brenspeed, LLC

Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: Brenspeed Contact Form

Just sent payment. Let me know when you get it and what the approximate turn around time will be.

Thanks!
Ted

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Brenspeed <sales@brenspeed.com> wrote:
ok THANKS!

Brent
Brenspeed, LLC

Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:17 PM

Tuner is on it's way to me right now, I'll send the serial number, modification list, and PCM code with the payment tomorrow.

Thanks!

Ted

A single calibration is $95, and I would need the serial number on the back of the SCT tuner. You want to pay through paypal? paypal@brenspeed.com

Brent
Brenspeed, LLC

Sent: Monday, January 28, 2013 8:15 PM

I already have an SCT SF3 and am just interested in a tune. The car has a PCM code of sfg0. It will always be run on 93 octane.

The modifications are:

Port Matched 3L Swap
MSDS Headers
MSDS Y-Pipe
Short Ram Intake (MAF Adapter with K&N Filter)
What would the price of the tune alone be? Is there any other information you need from me for the tuning?

Ted

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 7:52 AM, Brenspeed <sales@brenspeed.com> wrote:
Expect around 15 HP and faster throttle response with our calibration on an
SCT. The price is $379 for the X3 programmer. Let me know if you are
interested I will need the PCM code off of your computer to write the
calibration.

Thanks!

Brent
Brenspeed, LLC
CLICK HERE FOR A VIDEO ON OUR HISTORY AND FACILITY TOUR
WWW.TOURBRENSPEED.COM

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2013 6:47 PM
To: sales@brenspeed.com
Subject: Brenspeed Contact Form

order number:
questions / comments: I am interested in a X3 and tune for my 1998.5 SVT
Contour. I was wondering what the tune would run and what kind of gains I
can expect. The car has a cold air intake, headers, optimized y pipe, and a
port matched 3.0L.

Since then I have also contacted them to get the file changed for an EGR delete and they did it at no extra cost. They always answer the phone and are more than willing to help. Can't speak highly enough of Brenspeed.

Dyno all the way. Nothing is better then road simulation to tune your car. Making it spot on;)

As long as its a proper load bearing dyno (Mustang, MAHA, etc) that theory holds true. Unfortunately most of the dynos out there (dynojet) don't have the capability to simulate true road conditions on your drivetrain and even then no amount of dyno cell fans will be able to truly simulate the air density conditions your MAF will see on the road at 60+ MPH. In those cases you might as well just get a mail order unless your entire time behind the wheel is at WOT.

The best tuners won't even waste a customers time and money strapping a car to a dyno until they have a proper partial throttle tune in the car. This includes switching between MAF and speed density tuning to get the entire VE table within spec.

There is a whole lot of misinformation out there about ECU tuning. If anyone is really interested I have a few good books I can recommend.

I may have to hit you up on that here soon. And here's my email from a bit ago.

Edit: It may have just been the way everything was worded? Lol

Michael,

We have never done a conversion like that in house so we wouldn’t have a tune we could just email out to you. Brent doesn’t offer remote dyno tuning as he just doesn’t have the time. We have so many other commitments with manufactures that need to be filled at this time.

Thank you,
Miles Wagoner
Brenspeed Tuning Department

Brenspeed.com
8088 E 400 N
Pierceton, IN 46562
574-594-9559 x112

CLICK HERE to learn our history and tour the facility!

Please leave original message in e-mail replies. This helps speed up response times.
name: Michael Groves
email: rexxdoggy@yahoo.com
phone:
order number:
questions / comments: I was referred to you guys about getting a custom tune. My vehicle is a 1999 Ford Contour SVT with a 3L DOHC swap from a 2005 Taurus. I had a few people say they had gotten one from you guys. Anyways, how would this tune work? I need my air/fuel ratio adjusted, and maybe a bit on timing. I know I currently have a few codes for o2 sensors, but some people have told me those codes are because the motor is untuned. Will you be able to help tune the motor? And do you need the o2 sensor codes provided? I'm new to how tuning works.

I would just ask to speak with Brent directly. Im goin to send Miles an email today refrencing this thread. Maybe they can clear this up since there seems to be a bit of confusion internally regarding what tunes Brent currently offers (they are a Mustang shop primarily).

It sounds like they just don't offer a tune where they send you a baseline and you go back and forth a hundred times after logging to get every ounce if power out of the tune. I doubt you are a competitively drag or road course racing with the suspension/wheel tire setup you run so it really isn't necessary.

Even then, based on the logs I've taken on this car there isn't a whole lot they could change. I do have an SF3 so I can change fuel/spark a bit and haven't even considered it based on current power/drivability.

Does it matter that Mikey's car is a full 3L? Do they only tune hybrids and ported 3L?

Doesn't matter. For the most part the tune will be very close anyway and again, will ALL start as a tune for a 2.5L. Cam selection (SVT vs 3L). Is important though as it will dictate where the powerband is. Just make sure when you speak with your tuner you are specific about cam selection, head selection, and injector selection. The intake doesn't matter a whole lot in the scheme of the tune.

Thanks for the help. It sound like unless I take specific steps to prepare for a dyno tune, that it's likely in my best interest to do a mail-order tune. It would be fun to have my car dyno'd anyway, but maybe that's the next step after this. Any other comments are welcome, but I think my mind is made up. Thanks for your help!

Yeah, mine is for smooth daily drivability as it kinda bogs a bit under the "IMRC" point. It needs to be cleaned up a bit under that point for sure.

As I recall Benspeed has only tuned one 3L SVT, and the was Y2kSVT from Indiana ... it was a 3L with nitrious ... or maybe it was just a 2.5 ... I don't recall at the moment.

They had done quite a few and had a decent file database of 3L Contour tunes when try wrote mine 3 months ago.

Back