• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear strut removal!!

kw27

New CEG'er
I did a search and could not find anything about this, I need to change my rear struts, do I have to take off the big nut that you access in the trunk, or do you take out the two 13 mm bolts from under the car to remove the strut from the body?? If you have to get it from the trunk there is like no room to work!!

Thanks in adavance!!

you do not have to remove the top nut while its in the car. simply remove the two bolts from inside the wheel well, the brake line, and the pinch bolt and remove the strut/spring assembly. you dont even need a spring compressor for the rear springs

Great, that is what I need to know, I am going to tackle it this weekend. Thanks for the help!!:cool:

Yup, the 2 13mm's in the wheel well. Gotta use some extensions because they are way up there! Don't mess with anything in the trunk.

They are 10mm's
You also need to disconnect the sway bar from the end links. If its stock its a 15mm and a 13mm.

They are 10mm's
You also need to disconnect the sway bar from the end links. If its stock its a 15mm and a 13mm.

front struts=yes
rear struts=no
why disconnect the swaybar? Its bolted to the forward control arm.

10mm is the socket size for the 2 upper strut mount bolts.

If playing video games and eating is doing a suspension then i guess so LOL

The realistic time is a tad over a hour.
Steeda also does supension in less than 45 mins :) I did my suspension in like 40 mins

Last edited:
I can do fronts in about 35 min a side. Thats what it took me to swap out a knuckle for one with a new wheel bearing and swap out the spring/strut assembly... Rears are easy when putting them in, putting new stock rears in is not fun. Doing aftermarket rear suspension is easy because it just drops right in place... :D

Rear bolts are 10MM btw...

Back