• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Replacing upper water pump hose

larsofvt

CEG'er
Is it possible to replace the upper water pump hose (the one under the intake) without removing the UIM?
I did a search, nothing turned up.

I did it.

I had to buy a set of SUPER LONG needle-nose pliers to reach the clamp. So I took a little trip to Harbor Freight and got a two-pack - one with straight ends, and one with offset. Between the two of them, I was able to get the bad hose out and the good one in. Although as much as I had to struggle with it, I may have saved time to remove the manifold...

Is the hose available? I looked on Rockauto and I can't find it.

It's about 1.5" diameter and connects the water pump to the top of the block under the intake.

It comes included when you buy the Motorcraft pump but I installed a GNB pump just last year and it is working fine.

If somebody has an old receipt which shows the Gates or Goodyear part number that would give me something to search on.

I am pretty sure I just bought a Gates part over the counter from Advance Auto Parts; I probably had to special-order it. But this was last summer, and I never save receipts for stuff that small unless there is a potential to take advantage of a warranty. And even still, Advance and AutoZone keep all your warranty info in their system under your phone number, so you don't even need receipts anymore.

EDIT: I just looked on fordparts.com. They call it a "water inlet hose", and list part numbers 8A507 for 99, and 8A577 for 2000+ (this is for the Cougar, BTW; Contour shouldn't be different).

Thanks. That helps some. Tonight I went thru the listings with a counter guy and can't seem to find. Any chance if you are back by Advance you could have them type in your phone # and come up with the hose you bought? I am seriously stumped.

Advance and AutoZone keep all your warranty info in their system under your phone number, so you don't even need receipts anymore.

I believe this is the hose you are looking for:

Motorcraft F8RZ-8A506-AA - Dayco A71837

Nope, that's too short. The one he's looking for is about 12-14 inches long overall, although the diameter is about the same.

cooling_zps73019710.jpg

He needs the one circled in green. Your photo is the one circled in red.

FWIW, I checked fordparts.com for the Contour and could not find this part. I found this illustration and part listed under the 2000 Cougar.

Is the hose available? I looked on Rockauto and I can't find it.

It's about 1.5" diameter and connects the water pump to the top of the block under the intake.

It comes included when you buy the Motorcraft pump but I installed a GNB pump just last year and it is working fine.

If somebody has an old receipt which shows the Gates or Goodyear part number that would give me something to search on.

This hose is a dealer only hose that is $36. I went through this a while back with my last svt. I checked every parts store and nobody could get it. I can tell you from experience it is a whole lot easier to remove the UIM. You will also need to loosen up the LIM because the fuel lines actually rest on top of this hose. If you haven't replaced the upper and lower intake gaskets now would be the best time to do so. Just be careful around the injector harness since you have a 98. I also recommend checking all your other hoses too. I ended up having a hose go bad every 3 months until I finally went out and bought all new hoses and replaced them all at one time. I also recommend getting new clamps...preferably the ones you can tighten down with a flat head screw driver or 5/16 nut driver. If you have any questions just pm me. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in this area since I have replaced every possible water hose on this car and have had to go through finding each hose. FYI Rockauto has most of the hoses for our car.

Don't think it's dealer only.

8A507 (Motorcraft F8RZ-8A507-BE ) and 8A577 (Motorcraft XS2E 8A577-AB) both cross reference to Dayco B72130

Well I went to Advance Auto, O'rielley Auto, Autozone, and napa. I even had the old hose and nobody could cross reference it. Either way now he knows which hose and where to get it at.

Well I went to Advance Auto, O'rielley Auto, Autozone, and napa. I even had the old hose and nobody could cross reference it. Either way now he knows which hose and where to get it at.

It was a PITA to cross reference. Not because the part numbers are wrong, but because most all of the cross reference sites use one specific Ford part number out of the 3-10 revisions for each part.

I have collected what I 'think' is a complete set of hoses. The pump-to-intake hose is listed for a 2001 3.0 dohc Sable. Not sure why. Once I confirm it fits I will post a complete list of the hoses I used (Gates numbers) and where each goes.

I replaced mine w/o removing the UIM, but it was a pain and there was a lot of swearing. I think I used every pair of pliers I had. I think I ended up cutting the old one off. Mine came with my new water pump from the dealer.

I couldn't figure out a way to change mine out without taking off the UIM so I just left it in there when I replaced my water pump. The new Motorcraft pump came with both hoses but I only switched out the short one. I saved the longer one in case it ever fails.

I couldn't figure out a way to change mine out without taking off the UIM so I just left it in there when I replaced my water pump. The new Motorcraft pump came with both hoses but I only switched out the short one. I saved the longer one in case it ever fails.

I did exactly the same thing.

1998 Mystique 2.5 manual trans.
Gates number-location
22571 - pump to top of engine
19105 - block to heater core
22240 - crossover tube to lower rad
19184 - crossover tube to reservoir
19101 - water pump to heater core front section
19074 - water pump to heater core rear section
22304 - crossover tube to thermostat housing
22448 - water pump to thermostat housing (I had to shorten this one)
22180 - upper radiator
18031 - small hose radiator to to reservoir

Back