• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

timing belt metal cover

volcomsk8a

CEG'er
i already removed the top cover for the timing belt and now i need to remove the middle cover. its the bigger metal one. i can old find three bolts and that is not doing it for me. anyone know where they are? i need to change the upper timing idler pulley.

thanks

Wow, to get the middle cover off takes a lot of work, the way I did it was by removing the passenger side rim, the splash shield put an engine jack under the engine lifted it to where there was suspension relief, remove the bolts on the upper engine mount (the bracket that's on the passenger side top), then slowly lower the engine (be careful to make sure all harness' that don't have a lot of slack are give enough slack or disconnected and moved clear.) remove the accessories belt making sure to annote how it goes back on (my car had the route posted on the strut tower). from there you will see the rest of the bolts you'll need to remove to get that housing off. If there's an easier way I don't know it and that's the way my mothers husband told me to do it (he's a car mechanic and has done timing before on 2.0 contours). any body know an easier way, hook it up.

thats the easiest way that i know of as well although if you have skinny arms you dont need to lower or raise the engine only support it with the jack. IIRC you may have to remove the crank pulley to get to one of the bolts but that may only be for the lower cover. Also if youre going to replace the pulley you might as well do the whole timing belt and the rest of the pulleys.

I can't remember if there was a bolt behind the crank pulley, but if volcomsk8a is right it would bring the count up to 4. Actually I believe that's the only big reason I had to go in from the wheel well. I know the chiltons actually gave good pics and instructions as well if that would help.

There is a fourth bolt under the water pump pulley, but its not like the other three its a torx head I think. You will have to take the water pump pulley off to get to it. The way I loosened the water pump pulley bolts was by wedging a wrench between two of the bolts to stop it from moving and then loosening the third with the a wrench on the head of the bolt. Here I made a picture.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Another trick to getting water pump pully off is to leave the belt on. It will stop it from turning. Just loosen them, then remove belt, and then pully, but yes it is under the waterpump pully.

Back