• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ABS system check "crunch".

blu_fuz

New Member Classroom vulture
So, we all have that quick 1 second crunch noise as the ABS system does some kind of check. It usually happens within the first 10 seconds of driving.

What would cause the crunching self check system to continually go off every 10 seconds while driving? This is happening on my '95. I can hear the system doing something, hear the crunch, and watch my lights dim and my voltage gauge drop. It does it when driving at any speed and any gear just keeps cycling.

I have no idea where to start looking to fix the issue :confused:.

I did find this quote on 'fixya' and suggested to pull the ABS fuse to confirm that it is the ABS acting up.
"Sounds like your getting abs activation when its not needed. Most likley one of the wheel speed sensors has failed. You do need to have a scan tool to read the live data from the abs module as the problem is occurring to pinpoint which sensor is faulty. The abs light will not come on because the abs module thinks its just working normally. I'm an ASE certified mechanic and have seen this problem many times on various vehicles. You might have to pay somebody to diagnose it, but replacing the sensor it a very easy task. I hope this helps."

System kept self checking for the first couple miles on my way to work this morning, then it stopped and the ABS light came on...... :rolleyes: Probably going to pull the fuse for it.

The fuse for the ABS is also the fuse for the blower motor. At least on a 98 it is. It's a 60 amp fuse that requires unbolting from the harness.

Damn - that would suck...... Hopefully on my '95 they are different fuses, but probably not.

Will look like this if it's the same on 95.

ba1783197-1.jpg

The power is shared at the fuse. Fuz, the wires to ABS is seperate at the load side of the fuse. Unbolt the fuse and check which of the two load wires is to ABS. Tape it off and don't reconnect the abs power wire. I had to do this on my 95 last year when the ABS light would stay on with key off.

I'll have to get in there and unhook it. It is still acting up and messing with the brake pedal under normal braking :nonono:. Most of the time the system will stop "self checking" after about 10 minutes of driving and then the ABS light comes on.

I think my car did the same thing (The first day I got it, the ABS light is still on). Except I was feeling a crunch in the pedal! (Not the same thing...?). It stopped doing that after 15 miles or so, then the ABS would intermittently come on and off. Now its on all the time. HOWEVER, my left front wheel has grease all over it from a torn axle boot. I'm thinking I just need to pull the ABS sensor and clean it of. hopefully this will fix it.

-Sam

Check the abs sensors and pickup wheels on the hubs/cv axles. I've seen salt, rocks or just gunk/cv grease lodge itself in the teeth or coat the sensor. Just try cleaning them all of with some berryman. And shospazz, sorry, my ocd or whatever is bothering me and your signature says 95.5 SVT o_O

Great news! Pulled the DS front wheel off and checked out the ABS sensor. Because I have zip ties holding the sensors to the knuckle they are able to rotate a little. That one was rotated just out of range for the teeth on the axle. Rotated it back and tightened up the zip tie :cool:. All good.

Back