• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New wheelbearing fell apart, 0 miles?

blu_fuz

New Member Classroom vulture
I was installing the knuckle with new wheelbearing on my contour, and as soon as I got the axle started through the splines, the knuckle and spindle came apart :confused: ?????

I havn't had a spindle simply fall right out of a knuckle. I have other complete assemblies here and the spindle is secure in the knuckle, but the guy at O'reilys is telling me that the National brand bearing is 2 pieces and that the axle nut holds it all together :confused:. He wouldn't warranty the part until it is off the knuckle, so I had to buy ANOTHER bearing to drop off at the dealership just incase I can't use the new one that is already on the knuckle :nonono:.....

Out of the 2 dozen knuckles I have handled in my years, never has a spindle just come off.

Can anyone tell me what's up?

1209121457a.jpg

Those are sealed, 1 piece bearings, they are definitely NOT held together by the axle nut, someone is talking out of their ass. That bearing is defective.

that bearing is defective or was not installed correctly. Also a 95 should have two snap rings, one on each side of the bearing. Later cars only have them on the inside, ie opposite where the brake rotor is.

The hub that is inserted is supposed to be a press fit into the bearing. I had one come apart while disassembling my car and hub had visible wear where the bearing contacts (it even wobbled inside bearing). I would replace the hub also for this reason. If the hub can slip out it isn't tight enough inside the bearing and the bearing will wear out fast. Is this the side that wore out quickly for you.

Well I can't comment as to the snap rings as I don't recall my 99 even having one, the bearing was just pressed into the knuckle, then the hub was pressed into the bearing, but that was like 6 years ago I replaced it so I could be wrong. To elaborate on why that parts counter guy doesn't know what he's talking about; if that bearing was 2 pieces it would have a seal, because the grease could get particles of dirt or debris without the seal, but there is no wheel seal on a Contour because that bearing is 1 piece and is sealed internally, now if that parts counter guy tries to deny its defective, you'll know why he's wrong.

Also as brapple stated, it could have been improper installation, such as pressing on the inside race to fit it in the knuckle, or pressing on the outside race to install it on the hub.

i dont see a snap ring on there, thats why it came out. the nut does keep everything together. ever have a wheel nut come loose? the bearing starts to fall apart when it does because it loses pressure.

and i would use timken bearings, much better tolerances than national

There is a snap ring on the back side of the bearing in the knuckle. I do have one pre98 and one post98 knuckle/tie rod end, but I can't remember which side and I don't know if the bearing or how it is snapped/mounted in is different. :shrug:.

I got a call from the dealership and he said it definetly isn't supposed to just come apart like it did. They are going to warranty the labor and press in the replacement I brought in. Then I can take the defective one back to the store...... always something holding up the project.

Sam, there isn't an OEM bearing around here.

I called the dealer again and told them to pop out the National brand bearing that fell apart, and go ahead and order a new Ford bearing. I will return both National brand ones (the bad and the other replacement one I bought).

New Ford bearing is $75.

Sam, there isn't an OEM bearing around here.

I called the dealer again and told them to pop out the National brand bearing that fell apart, and go ahead and order a new Ford bearing. I will return both National brand ones (the bad and the other replacement one I bought).

New Ford bearing is $75.

Your posts dont make sense....

There aren't any OEM around here. (in stock)
The dealer has to order it.
It's $75.

the bearing is held together by the axle nut. as long as nothing got in the bearing while it is apart you will be fine. every bearing i have put in my contour (6 now) has done that with no ill effects after 15000 miles.

What can I do about it?

:shrug:

about the snap rings? Just make sure what was there is reinstalled. Or you can add the second one if you like.

Here is info from the 95 shop manual. As you can see there should be two snap rings. However after replacing a number of bearings on 99's there is only the inner snap ring.

wheelbearing1.jpg

wheelbearing2.jpg

The snap ring is not designed to hold the moving bearing into place. Only the stationary race peice. I only used the inner snap ring when pressing in new bearings as a guide/stopper for when the bearing is in its propper placement inside the knuckle. Also the inside bearing of the 2 piece bearing should have held the hub from pulling out/off.

about the snap rings? Just make sure what was there is reinstalled. Or you can add the second one if you like.

Like I said, what can I do about it? It's at the Ford dealership, so when and how would I add the snap ring if I'm not the one doing the work? I also don't know if this is the pre98 or post98 knuckle that I gave them.......

I saw the snap ring on the back side of the bearing, and I don't have control of the other one if I'm not the one pressing in the new bearing. I can't see in my picture where another snap ring would even go :confused:.

If the bearing is pressed in correctly I don't see why it still couldn't be installed. Either way as long the inner one is installed its fine, imho.

Back