• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Porting 3L

Daven

CEG'er
I will be starting to port my 3L today. I'm just looking for any tips,tricks def NONO's etc

^ O..... M.....G.......!

Wow, I have never seen anyone hack up a porting job like that before :blackeye:.

45552d1342036210-img_20120711_124317.jpg

Well now you have. That was my first time ever inside of an engine PERIOD. :( I practiced on the next one and it came out better. lol. However I didn't know what to expect in doing this.

I understand. We all have to start somewhere! :laugh: I was always curious how close I was to poking through the injector valley :eek:. Now I know :cool:. Thanks! :laugh:

Try not to mess with the oval port at the end. Try to keep the bottom of the port as close to normal as you can. Take as little off as you can and just smooth everything out to the factory port on the bottom of the runner

Ok so my engine is an 02 taurus so it has that extra pully on the end before the dampener. Was trying to get it off and spun it clockwise :( how can I tell if I screwed the engine? Also can I use the oil pan that came with this engine?

Crankshaft pulley AND balancer??? IIRC...the balancer portion is a reverse thread (tighten to loosen). It should come off damper and ”stalk” behind it. The crankshaft pulley bolt comes off like normal.

As far as the oil pan...I used the 2.5 pan, but have seen some people using the stock Taurus pan. Most, however use the Escape pan/pick-up tube.

Ok so my engine is an 02 taurus so it has that extra pully on the end before the dampener. Was trying to get it off and spun it clockwise :( how can I tell if I screwed the engine? Also can I use the oil pan that came with this engine?
You should be OK. Turning it backwards can put slack in the timing chains which can allow them to bind or bend a valve, but if you turn it forwards again a couple of revolutions before your try starting it you will be completely fine.

Comment above has all the info for the pan: Taurus is deeper and 2 bolts don't line up but can be used. Or you can use your 2.5 pan, but you need to swap the pickup and dipstick. If you keep the taurus one, I'd grab the pickup and dipstick of your old 2.5 incase you want to swap at some time in the future.

Question my timing cover has a crack in the second bolt holder on left side. Can I use some sort of weld stick on it to stop it from cracking the whole way or am I better off trashing it and getting a better one?

Well...... probably should get another one to have around, but if you scuff and clean that metal good enough you could probably hold the leak back with some kind of patch but it probably won't stop it from cracking more.

Back