• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

svt shift linkage

GIT-R-DONE

Veteran CEG'er
are they interchangeable? i pulled out my old linkage and its a different style then the ones i pulled from the junkayrd. just wondering because i would like to finish swapping them before i put the motor back in.

There is no SVT specific linkage. It's just a difference in the years. What year did the parts come from?

I believe they ate from another 98 but maybe it was a later production 98. The old ends on the trans side are more square, and the new ones are round. The ends that attach to the shifter are different as well.

just an update, i decided to say screw it, rip out the old, and put in the new ones and they attach to the shifter correctly so im going to assume the same for the transmission. now i just got to finish porting my heads and get this 3l in the damn car already.

It sounds like you pulled cables from a late-00 Contour. They use a different cable design. Late-99 to 02 Cougars also used these cables. The early style cables had replaceable ends that can be ordered from Ford seperately. The later cables were only sold as a set and typically it was the cable itself that broke requiring the set to be replaced all together.

A couple pictures from NECO:

Old style cables are on top
shift_cables_full.jpg

New cables on top in this picture
shift_cables_ends.jpg

Exactly the situation ^.

Thanks for the info. I could have sworn that the car was a 98, but I guess not. I need to go back and get some more parts off of it.

It's possible the car was actually a 98 but with the newer cables installed. The new cables superceeded the old cables in the Ford parts catalog so if the original cables or ends got damaged, the dealer may have just grabbed the newer part number and installed them instead of the old design.

The old design is actually better because the cables don't snap and the ends are replaceable. Any threads (that I've seen at least) were someone had cables snap, they had the updated ones.

So I have a set of the "old style" cables and one of the cables snapped today.

B5057311-920D-4825-9744-57264A7FEDBD-1938-0000016AFC95740A_zpsee88ac4a.jpg

I have a set of "old style" and a set of "new style" cables coming to me. Which should I use? Are they interchangeable?

full cable set are interchangeable as a set. Just can't put new style ends onto old style cable.

So, in that case which set should I go with? I do have a spare set of the old cable ends so should I just stick with the old style cables?

It sounds like you pulled cables from a late-00 Contour. They use a different cable design. Late-99 to 02 Cougars also used these cables. The early style cables had replaceable ends that can be ordered from Ford seperately. The later cables were only sold as a set and typically it was the cable itself that broke requiring the set to be replaced all together.

A couple pictures from NECO:

Old style cables are on top
shift_cables_full.jpg

New cables on top in this picture
shift_cables_ends.jpg

Do you or does anyone else on here by chance have pictures of the shifter-side of the new and possibly the old cable ends?

I would like to think that the newer cables are a better design.? Maybe that is why they redesigned them. I put in the new style cable in my car because of this, and the old cable ends are hard to find. The only issue with replacing with the new cable is that it is kind of pain to swap them, unless you have really tiny hands!

I would like to think that the newer cables are a better design.? Maybe that is why they redesigned them. I put in the new style cable in my car because of this, and the old cable ends are hard to find. The only issue with replacing with the new cable is that it is kind of pain to swap them, unless you have really tiny hands!

I think they are. I don't see any other reason they decided to change them. Ford still carries the ends/collets to the earlier cables actually.

I think they are. I don't see any other reason they decided to change them. Ford still carries the ends/collets to the earlier cables actually.
As of just a month ago, because the old style black cable ends are discontinued, I ended up buying a new set of cables (as documented in the MTX pops out of first gear post) and I was told that the cable ends for the new style cables were not replaceable because they do not show up as separate parts in the catalogue. I hope they are a better design and that they work better than what I am having taken off. The possibility of snapping one of these newer style cables gives me pause though. I wonder which one is the most likely to snap? That could inform one of some other problem with the shifting mechanism and or the MTX itself.
Karl

As of just a month ago, because the old style black cable ends are discontinued, I ended up buying a new set of cables (as documented in the MTX pops out of first gear post) and I was told that the cable ends for the new style cables were not replaceable because they do not show up as separate parts in the catalogue. I hope they are a better design and that they work better than what I am having taken off. The possibility of snapping one of these newer style cables gives me pause though. I wonder which one is the most likely to snap? That could inform one of some other problem with the shifting mechanism and or the MTX itself.
Karl

They rarely snap if ever. U should be fine. Make sure the routing is correct, and snapping won't be an issue

Back