• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

El Cheapo Headgasket Leak Test

Tony2005

Addicted CEG'er
El cheapo headgasket leak test.

1) Fill coolant to the brim on recovery tank (leave cap off).

2) Remove all spark plug wires.

3) Remove all but one spark plug and have someone crank the engine.

4) If the coolant bubbles over, there is a leak from that portion of the engine
(or cylinder). If not, go to the next cylinder, and then the next....

5) Note, it could be more than one area or more than one cylinder.

why dont you just do a CLT. its just as fast and tells you a whole lot more. it will tell you if your headgasket, rings, intake valves, or exhaust valves are leaking. plus you can get a CLT for pretty cheap. and its the "right" way to do those tests.

How about you posting a how-to for the CLT with the cost? ;)

Its a compression leak down test. you can buy a cheap one at autozone for like 20$ (not sure on exact price) and it comes with instructions. its very simple to use. remove spark plugs. disable ignition and fuel systems. turn engine to top dead center of number one compression. screw tester into spark plug hole. connect air hose to gauges. set gauges to zero. connect gauges to tester end. read leakage percentage. if its a head gasket you will see bubbles in the coolant. rings you will hear it through the oil fill. intake valve throught the TB. exhaust valve through the exhaust. when you hook the gauges to the tester line make sure its at true top dead center or it will spin around and you will have to try again.

ROTFL. A compression leak down tester costs about $70. In addition, you need a compressor for it. Based on your post, it is neither easy nor cheap. And all I suggested in the original post is a cheap and easy how-to for a headgasket leak test (which can be done without any additional tools other than a spark plug removal tool and some water). :help:

Last edited:
i assumed that the average ceger thats going to do this would have or have access to an air compressor. as for the price i have seen them for less than 50$. even 70$ as far as the price for tools goes thats cheap. if your really that cheap then use the loaner one that advanced or auto zone will loan to you.

i assumed that the average ceger thats going to do this would have or have access to an air compressor. ...

ROTFL again. Most average CEGers do not have an air compressor. Some (like me) do not even have a garage to work on cars. As for needing headgasket leak tests, it is usually from first time posters (or newbies) who have an overheating problem which some CEGers have identified as "maybe a blown headgasket". To expect such new CEGers to disconnect the fuel and ignition system and to find TDC is almost ludricous. But you can carry on. I have posted my how-to and I am done on this thread. :laugh:

even with your method you still need to disable fuel and ignition systems. for the fuel system you simply start the car and pull the fuel pump relay. run it till it dies. you have to disable the fuel system or the engine could hydro-lock from all the fuel. the ignition system all you do is unplug the harness to the coil pack. i dont know about you but i sure dont want to get shocked by 40k volts or risk frying the PCM.

one last question. how are you going to crank the engine and look at the coolant resevoir?:shrug:

Back