• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Why blur your plate?

Scottster

CEG'er
I notice alot of people mask their licence plates when posting pics, but why?

Any old Joe can walk down the street and look at your car and plate...so why do they become confidential when posting pics?

What am I missing?

I don't blur mine. I really don't get it either unless you posted something saying you got a few kilos of cocaine in your trunk or something.

There really isn't a purpose-- People think it helps with the protection of their car-- It can only hurt to leave it on their if someone wants to steal something specifically from your car which they have seen in a picture-- I don't care, I leave mine out there for all to see

There really isn't a purpose-- People think it helps with the protection of their car-- It can only hurt to leave it on their if someone wants to steal something specifically from your car which they have seen in a picture-- I don't care, I leave mine out there for all to see

that and i like to make it harder for people to find out who i am were i live ect

that and i like to make it harder for people to find out who i am were i live ect

If someone really wanted to know it would take a hell of a lot more than a blurry license plate to deter them. Actually I'd be willing to bet being on any internet form you give up way more than enough info. in normal conversation to screw yourself if you really think about it. All you need is a name and an approximate birthdate/address/past address/etc.

1. This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 11 seconds.
GHEY^^^^^^^^^^^^

I cant blur mine, everyone knows mine :)

Same reason I don't post pictures of my house with millions of $$ of jewelry in it.. then post the address as well :D

no doubt if someone really wanted to find me they could just making it a little harder yeah shure you can find out what city im in even if i didn't put that info on the forums its basicly on my isp's ip address yeah you know i live in san antonio

according to google san antonio has a population of 1.1million

for the hell of it lets devide 1.1 million into 4 since 4 is a nice familly number
and 4 people to a house that leaves about 27000000+ possible places to check

although i doubt it i might of put my address out there somewere on the net even then you'd have to be pretty determined to wanna find it

i feel personally by if i diddn't blur my plate i'd be giving them my address
i know people that i can go up to and say run theese plates and findout almost every thing address/ owner ect ect ect

notice im not saying im stoping people from finding me just making it harder

If someone really wanted to know it would take a hell of a lot more than a blurry license plate to deter them. Actually I'd be willing to bet being on any internet form you give up way more than enough info. in normal conversation to screw yourself if you really think about it. All you need is a name and an approximate birthdate/address/past address/etc.

agreed but why make it easy make them search for that info if they really want it

according to google san antonio has a population of 1.1million

for the hell of it lets devide 1.1 million into 4 since 4 is a nice familly number
and 4 people to a house that leaves about 27000000+ possible places to check

1.1 million people own 27 million places? Crazy! They must not have taught you how many zeros go into 270,000 in San Antonio! :) Kiddin with ya

I've always wondered why as well. I don't think it is a big deal, I have just always wondered if there was something I was missing . . . Some reason that it should be done...
Seems to be more personal preference than anything else. Some are more security-conscious than others. No, it won't stop someone who is determined to find where you live, but it might slow them down some.

When I started the "How common is your last name?" thread I was curious about two things. One, obviously, was how common is your last name. Two was to see how many people would actually post their names. I posted mine because, well, I really have nothing worth stealing. "Steal my identity and assume all my other debt as well!" :D I was surprised how many posted. I thought it was cool, because it's fun seeing what people's names really are. But I honestly expected at least one post of, "I can't believe you're posting your names for the world to see!"

Back