+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wire harness install

green SVT Guest

Default Wire harness install

Well I bought my car about a year ago knowing that it had the cracking wire problem. Well, I hoped that it would last until I could get another harness in there but I guess not. My IMRC wiring keeps touching so the car jumps really hard and sparks (not very funny when your head is about 2" away with the motor running.) So, my question is what do you think the estimate would be to get a harness installed. It looks like the main, all the intake, t.b., fan, IMRC wiring is shot so I think I would need almost everything. Another question is when I bought the car it came with all the harness included from another SVT. So how do I know if this GIGANTIC bundle of wires is for my SVT; part codes, etc. I can take pics tonght and upload. It doesnt look like I can do this myself, so I'm guessing the dealer is the only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by green SVT View Post
    ..... My IMRC wiring keeps touching so the car jumps really hard and sparks (not very funny when your head is about 2" away with the motor running.) ...
    If you can see the sparks, you know where it is touching. A cheap "temporary" solution would be to use "Liquid Tape" (liquid rubber) purchased from Home Depot or Lowes. It is similar to a touch up paint deal.

If the "new" harness has a code on it, post. Or check it yourself. 99M03 Customer Satisfaction Extended Warranty.
    http://www.contour.org/FAQ/recall/99M03/

Graham, TX: a place so nice, they rob your house twice! & Houma, LA

A V6 harness is going to be PRICEY! The Zetec w/o ABS is the cheapie at around $175 or so, but you're probably looking at $600 or more for the full harness.
    See, you think I give a . Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking, "How can I give less of a ?" That's why I look interested.
    I know there's a god, because every once in a while someone whispers in my ear, "You're my favorite!"

green SVT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IRingTwyce View Post
    A V6 harness is going to be PRICEY! The Zetec w/o ABS is the cheapie at around $175 or so, but you're probably looking at $600 or more for the full harness.
    Are you talking about buying the harness or installing? Because I already have the full harness

green SVT Guest

Install prices anyone?

Graham, TX: a place so nice, they rob your house twice! & Houma, LA

I was talking about purchase price. Never mind if you have yours already. I did the install myself on my Zetec. Not sure I'd really want to tackle a V6 harness replacement. I've heard stories of around $600 labor on those. But take that with a grain of salt...it is hearsay after all.
    See, you think I give a . Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking, "How can I give less of a ?" That's why I look interested.
    I know there's a god, because every once in a while someone whispers in my ear, "You're my favorite!"

Probably be more of a piece of cake with the engine pulled. You feel up to that?
    "Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.

1997 SE V6/MTX

Quote Originally Posted by green SVT View Post
    Install prices anyone?
    The warranty hours were 10 but you can expect it to be closer to 20 if you are sending it in without the warranty. If you are looking at $100 per hour, it comes to $2,000 for the labor.

As several people have mentioned the TSB all I will add is read it and apply it to you car. If you got you replacement kit for $600 then you most likely don't have ABS, and with this problem that is really a good thing. Tony is right about the cost for a shop to do the work and unfortunately if you go that way, this is one of those times where a dealer is the best resource for it. (now I have to go wash out my mouth)

I too have THE problem, but fortunately I have a 95 /Z /auto / no ABS, so I am in the process of doing it myself. The parts were about $136 from Team Ford / Bill Jenkins (a CGer). I did the fan harness when it was in the shop having the tranny rebuilt, so that made up for any savings I got out of haveing the cheap electrical fix. But it sure made swapping out the fan easy

Good Luck
    Proud Dad of a US Marine

99 Contour SE Sport / V6 MTX
    95 Contour GL / 4banger ATX - Like no other.

"its not shot it just grinds a little when going into third" - tjzollman 2/25/08

Try to be as good a person, as your dog thinks you are....

The TSB gives the parts codes for each car / harness involved. Unfortunately it only goes to 97, so your SVT info won't be included even though some 98's did have the harness problem. I suggest you contact Bill Jenkins at Team Ford to answer you question about if the parts you have are the right ones.

Bill Jenkins
    Internet Dept.
    Team Ford
    5445 Drexel Rd.
    Las Vegas, NV 89130
    800-791-6436
    www.TEAMFORDPARTS.com
    bjenkins@teamfordlv.commy 2 cents
    Proud Dad of a US Marine

99 Contour SE Sport / V6 MTX
    95 Contour GL / 4banger ATX - Like no other.

"its not shot it just grinds a little when going into third" - tjzollman 2/25/08

Try to be as good a person, as your dog thinks you are....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast