• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lower control arm (2 bolt) bolt shifting and making popping sound?

rexxdoggy

Hard-core CEG'er
What happens is, after a right hand turn, when I brake or make a left hand turn, the back bolt of the driver side control arm shifts like less than 1 MM and makes a popping sound. As if maybe the bolt is too small? But even then, I reused the bolts that I had. I don't see how it should shift. Has anyone ever had that problem before? I was told it was a bad LCA bushing. But these are Moog control arms with like 2x,xxx miles on them. Is a bad bushing to be blamed, or what is it? And I can't remember, the driver side LCA, does the subframe lower enough to remove the bolts?

Sounds like a bushing to me. You might need to lower the subframe/lift the trans alittle to get them out, but i'm not 100% sure on that. I've only done 4 bolt LCAs

I would say its the bushing also but from my past exp you either have to cut the bolt and just replace it with another bolt but put the nut on top so next time you can just undo the bolt. I just do not personally like messing with the sub frame bolts just in case they where to strip or get damaged in any way. But again just my two sense.

...you either have to cut the bolt and just replace it with another bolt but put the nut on top so next time you can just undo the bolt....

If you didnt have to do this, than you werent the first one to do this job and its possible that you may have had the wrong bolts. They may have gone with a 3/8 instead of the correct metric size. Maybe measure just to be sure...

its the front drivers side bolt on the control arms which could be cut, not the rear one.

if your going to remove the sway bar just drop the subframe and do it right, put the bolt back in the correct way.

Also the suspension bolts are not your typical off the shelf bolt either.

I know, they're 10.9 grade bolts. But yeah, I'm gonna be dropping the subframe because I'm gonna do the sway delete. I thought about putting it back together, but ditched the idea.

Back