• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Power Steering Pump Noise

98sport

New CEG'er
The power steering pump in my 2.5 contour makes a loud whining noise. Only after the car has sat for about a day and a half. It only makes the noise for about 30 sec to 1 min, but then reoccurs periodically. If the car has been driven within the last day it usually doesn't do it, and if the car sits for around a week it doesn't do it. I'm pretty sure that the pump is losing it's prime, but don't know if the pump is bad, or if a hose is allowing air to seep into the system. Any suggestions? Ideas? Experience? Thanks

When was the last time you have it flushed? If it is more than 2 years/24k miles, now would be a good time to do it.

Edit. You could try bleeding it if you suspect there is air in the system.

Pour the fluid in slowly to minimize getting air in the system. If you suspect air is in the system, then turn the steering from side to side (lock to to lock) a few times (maybe 5 or more) to bleed the system of air. If power steering still has whirring sound, then leave it alone for a few hours and then try the bleeding procedure again.

Last edited:
Sorry to revive such an old message. My Contour (99 2.5L) also makes the loud whining, but it does it all the time. I can't remember ever flushing the fluid before 106K miles, so I'm thinking that I need to replace the pump. Do you have any experience with this? It looks like I have to move an engine mount, and I really don't want to do that.

Sorry to revive such an old message. My Contour (99 2.5L) also makes the loud whining, but it does it all the time. I can't remember ever flushing the fluid before 106K miles, so I'm thinking that I need to replace the pump. Do you have any experience with this? It looks like I have to move an engine mount, and I really don't want to do that.

If your going to be replacing your pump its pretty simple.
1 remove belt.
2 remove left motor mount.Passengers side.( remove powersteering line.)Be sure to support the motor for when you go to re-install everything..
3 Remove the 4 boilts holding the pully on.
4 remove the boilts holding the pump in place and slide out.

Back