• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

pre-cats

csvt90

CEG'er
is there anyway to get 2 new pre-cats somewhere else than the ford dealer? my svt wont pass smog because the check engine light is on and they said they 2 pre-cats are bad.

Nope. They're inside the headers and thats how they'll come to you and cost a pretty penny. Did they give the code to your or simply say it was your precats?

is there anyway to get 2 new pre-cats somewhere else than the ford dealer? my svt wont pass smog because the check engine light is on and they said they 2 pre-cats are bad.

you can buy some mil eliminators to fool the o2 sensors into reading correctly. i gutted my precats and passed emissions many times now with them on.

search the forum for mil eliminators they are like 10 bucks and you'll need two. its an easy install

As long as your main cat is there and its in good shape you shouldnt have an issue passing an actual sniff test. One county over they just plug into your OBDII port (if you have one) and only sniff the older cars that dont have the port for the machine.

As mentioned your best bet is the electrical mil eliminators or the older fashioned anti-fouler trick.

I've been seeing them on ebay alot lately.

For 450 for 2 though :blackeye:

If you want the electrical ones that you'll splice or solder in they're available lots of places online including Nautilus. If you want the screw in fouler type you can get them from the autoparts store and drill them out yourself.

I had the same problem not to long ago. My fix after looking at the prices of pre-cats was to get a set of msds headers and an xcal3 tune. It was the same price as going back to new stock precats. The xcal3 eliminates the precat O2 sensors and works well with the OBD2 emissions test.

ok so if i was to get the ones from nautilus how would i install them? so its a pretty good chance ill pass the sniff test if i have the main cat on?

why not just buy some headers left over from someones low mileage 3L swap and have those pre cats welded in place of yours? I have a set of 46k mile 04 taurus headers laying around.

Good luck. mils should be the cheepest easiest.

ok so if i was to get the ones from nautilus how would i install them? so its a pretty good chance ill pass the sniff test if i have the main cat on?
You'd install them like everyone else? From under the car while scratching your hands all up. But you'll still have the check engine light until you do something about the bottom sensors.

You'd install them like everyone else? From under the car while scratching your hands all up. But you'll still have the check engine light until you do something about the bottom sensors.

well if you get two mil elims and put them on the bottom o2 sensors under the car it should work and lose the codes if you reset the pcm pulling fuses 4 and 11 i think? dont hold me to those fuses, but it will get rid of the cel

I had the same problem not to long ago. My fix after looking at the prices of pre-cats was to get a set of msds headers and an xcal3 tune. It was the same price as going back to new stock precats. The xcal3 eliminates the precat O2 sensors and works well with the OBD2 emissions test.

only problem with that is in some states you could now fail emissions testing if the lower O2 sensors are disabled. When they are disabled the cat moinitor test and possible the O2 sensor self tests do not run. your better off with just the mil-eliminators.

Back