• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How to best remove screw cover

Yeah but in their mind they'd be the ones taking the door panel off and they'd have a bag of spare covers right there to pop a new one in. :)

I've used jewelers screwdriver and also a pick.
Like Tony, whatever bit of plastic that got displaced, I was able to push it back down with a fingernail.

They're still a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: to pop off. I did not enjoy it at all. :bah:

I also use a small pick stick the end in an angle into the seem and rotate the cap out. Then I use rounded side to rub over the displaced plastic to burnish it. This helps a lot.

Yes you can.

You shouldn't. The panels are meant to be set down into place when installing them, so you should lift them up when removing them otherwise you are bending the plastic that forms around the window ledge.... :nonono:

I hate them as well. When i popped one out it flew out of the car and i never found it again. So i just left both of them off. It doesn't look to crappy IMO.

Whoa, you people don't even know how to remove them?? Don't ruin them, they're spendy and your interior looks like isht without them!

Duct tape. Seriously. Put on a piecee, rub it on a bit, take it off. It probably won't come off with all the grease/dirt on the plastic. So then you take another piece of duct tape, put it on, rub it a but over the plug, and pull. It should come right out, totally unharmed.

Whoa, you people don't even know how to remove them?? Don't ruin them, they're spendy and your interior looks like isht without them!

Duct tape. Seriously. Put on a piecee, rub it on a bit, take it off. It probably won't come off with all the grease/dirt on the plastic. So then you take another piece of duct tape, put it on, rub it a but over the plug, and pull. It should come right out, totally unharmed.

Trying that tonight !!!!

You shouldn't. The panels are meant to be set down into place when installing them, so you should lift them up when removing them otherwise you are bending the plastic that forms around the window ledge.... :nonono:
Never said it is recommended, but it comes off rather easily. I personally had enough room to pull upwards on the door panel up and off the window ledge. I did, however, remove the triangle piece to put the door panel back on.

Mission Accomplished

Mission Accomplished

The duct tape didn't do anything.

I found the smallest drill bit I had and drilled a tiny hole into each one.
Then with a small paper clip, I bent the end, stuck it in the hole (yes - I just said I stuck it in the hole) and pulled. Out they came.

Since they are painted black in my car insread of the usual tan, the hole isn't really noticable unless you know it is there (which I do - so it will bother me)

quote]

I've never had them and it doesn't bother me, i guess with mnb and 20% on the front windows it's always to dark for their absence to be noticed. I guess there's worse cosmetic issues for me to worry about too:blackeye:

I think they make a tool for those, and I think my dad has one, (not too sure he has a freakin tool for just about anything, he even has one to take off window cranks) anyways I do think he has one, I wish I knew that he had one before I messed mine up, I had those off countless time, I had my door panels off countless times, I could take those off in my sleep. Of course it's been awhile since I had them off.
Don't ask me what it's called because I don't know. He works in a body shop so he has access to tools and crap I've never seen or heard of.

I think they make a tool for those, and I think my dad has one, (not too sure he has a freakin tool for just about anything, he even has one to take off window cranks) anyways I do think he has one, I wish I knew that he had one before I messed mine up, I had those off countless time, I had my door panels off countless times, I could take those off in my sleep. Of course it's been awhile since I had them off.
Don't ask me what it's called because I don't know. He works in a body shop so he has access to tools and crap I've never seen or heard of.

What an amazing post full of useful information!

Back