• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Yay code 1518

ScottyDsntKnow

Veteran CEG'er
So I'm going to hit up a JY tomorrow which is conveniently on my way to work and see what they have. Hopefully they have some Contiques for me to pull a few off of.

One question I had is that after I get a working unit in there, can I do the hightower fix to an existing burnt out board and it'll work again? I'd like to do that and then relocate the IMRC so I don't have this issue again.

What's this warmonger fix you speak of? I know that there is a Hightower fix to replace the transistor for a more heat tolerant one. If you get a working one, just swap them out and be done if you want to relocate it. Otherwise, open the cover and swap the guts out of the new one it, if you are leaving it in place. This is much easier than trying to remove the cable when the UIM, TB, and intake tube are still in place.

If you can't find one in the junkyard, I have 3 available in the classifieds.

Well today it was sunny out for like 2 hours so I went out and pulled the front cover and took a gander at the linkages. It was working...? So I let it heat up and checked again. Still working... So I cleared the 1518 code and it hasn't come back. Weird. I have a feeling its on its way out though. Time to get to relocating the thing. Just figuring out where would be best...

I have mine at the firewall resting between the brake booster and the cruise control module. The end kind of hooks around the round part of the cruise, and fits like it was made for it. I'll post a picture when I get home.

Yeah if you could post a pic that would be great. Definitely going to relocate this thing post haste. Why in hell Ford thought it would be ok to mount an electrical box on top of a valve cover underneath a plastic cover is beyond me.

I have four TIP122 transistors on the way(32 cents each lol) and I'm going to replace the stock one when I move the box. If this fails then I'll pick up a new/used one.

Good luck with the transistor. Others have successfully completed in the past, but I ruined 2 IMRCs (that I guess were technically already dead) before I gave up and another CEG'r was kind enough to give me an IMRC. New IMRC is less headache, but if you can do it right, the transistor is worth a try.

100_2073.jpg

100_2074.jpg

Back