• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Baer issue

Smalls

Addicted CEG'er
i installed my baer kit today. i was having a bad enough day after i realized that i was sold a 12" kit instead of a 13" kit. got it all done and went to bleed the brakes. bled the right side fine, then went to brake the left side loose, and nothing. the bleeder was frozen in there. i put a box wrench on there and tried to hammer the wrench and knock it loose and in the process, rounded it off pretty good. i ended up removing the caliper, putting the bleeder in a vice, and getting it out that way. but when i got the bleeder out, it also pulled out all the threads in the caliper. whenever this happened at work, we just sold a new caliper. but this is a pretty expensive caliper. just had it rebuilt and powder coated. has anyone ever put a helicoil in a caliper? i dont want to do it and find that it wont work with the new bleeder screw. i was going to tap some bigger threads in there, but im unsure if i can get a bigger bleeder screw. any advice?

Damn man - was this the kit you sent me over a year ago? I don't know if they sell a bigger bleeder but I am sure you could helicoil that little thing, no prob..... good luck

Damn man - was this the kit you sent me over a year ago? I don't know if they sell a bigger bleeder but I am sure you could helicoil that little thing, no prob..... good luck

yeah. im just worried about the bleeder design. the bleeder screw comes to a point and sits in a concave seat in the caliper. when you loosen the bleeder, the brake fluid comes up the sides of the point to the side of the screw where the hole is. im worried that installing a helicoil will prevent the bleeder screw from sitting tightly in its seat, and will constantly leak.

I've seen inserts at the hardware store that are threaded collars on the inside and outside. It would allow you to thread the collar over a normal bleeder screw and then thread that into the larger hole you tapped. It should work pretty slick.

i just got off the phone with baer. he said a 10mm by 1.0 helicoil will do the trick. i guess i'll give that a shot

wow. 7 auto parts stores and NO ONE has a 10x1.0 helicoil. they have every size but that. one advanced auto had the repair kit that was posted on the first page, but only half of it was there. looks like my car is gonna be out of commission for at least a couple more days :(

Back