• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Best launch strategy

For the car it's being done in, that is good time. My actual mission given to me by my friends is to beat a certain Civic hatchback. The guy runs a turbo into a supercharger on his slightly modded 4 cylinder. All I have to do is beat 9.75-10.0 to get into range. And as bad as shape as my car was in and being a noob to drag racing, I think I can get there with good rehabilitative maintenance, a tune up, and maybe losing that resonator and a short air intake. I don't think I will manage it in a week so it's going to be a long term project(2-3 months or so). Should give me time to get my ride into shape.

I got my bone stock 98 SVT down to a 10.11 on crappy all season tires, in the middle of summer. I am a pretty average driver, so I would think it would be possible to beat the civic.

A Turbo and Supercharged Civic?:rolleyes: Why?

all i gotta say is a 2.1 60' time isnt exactly a good strategy. maybe a better strategy would be some real slicks, or a new car. lol

You still drive a Contour, right? And you still say you want to break into the 12's, right? Well try and learn a thing or two from people who have made several passes with similar setups. Or listen to everyone dropping the clutch at 5k and breaking axles on 205 width all season tires.

On the other hand, you're onto something. I did get a new car. RWD V8, and I doubt I could pull a 2.0 60' time. :crazy: Never had the itch to take this car to the track.

Mark

hmm..... i'm the one with the two step, LSD, custom "race" clutch, and also the one with the video of me beating a 12 second mustang. i think i can launch pretty decent, "for a contour" :)

hmm..... i'm the one with the two step, LSD, custom "race" clutch, and also the one with the video of me beating a 12 second mustang. i think i can launch pretty decent, "for a contour" :)

And I had an LSD and SPEC stage 1, which is similar to your setup like I said. Let me know when your two step gets you into the 2.0 range on street tires. And what does the video prove if you can't post a 12 second timeslip? I beat a whole hell of a lot of cars on the street that should have murdered me. That never put the car in the 12's on a track, though.

Mark

A Turbo and Supercharged Civic?:rolleyes: Why?

The question is why not and better, why no naws?
-J

Everyone except his friends has asked him why set up the way he did. He honestly believes that it is the best way to go. And I think he does, or is going to, run NOS. We keep waiting for him to blow it up. Another point in my favor is he has little to no control of his ride.

My old svt had a LSD but was almost impossible to launch at any rpm without extreme wheelhop. It did seem to help if I positioned the car at a slight angle to the line, but I never got near a 2.1 60' in that car. I did manage to brake all kinds of stuff, axles, cracked my y-pipe, and knocked my radio out of the holder. I wont be taking my new one to the track, I just dont think its a good car for that.

Back