• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Caliper Resurrection

thinking back on the old Ford Aerostar and Lincoln rotors with the directional cooling fins there were meant to vent hot air not take in cold air so .......

Directional? Any vented rotor will exhaust hot air just like a centrifuge throws stuff outwards as it spins.

Yeah, some aftermarket rotors are DIRECTIONAL vaned and they act like a fan pulling in cool air to cool the rotors. Putting these kind of rotors on wrong would result in a heat soaken rotor.

My rotors weren't marked at all and I just put them on the way that I've seen the majority of other Cougars with slotted rotors, even though most of you guys have a different opinion on which way they go.

Yeah, some aftermarket rotors are DIRECTIONAL vaned and they act like a fan pulling in cool air to cool the rotors. Putting these kind of rotors on wrong would result in a heat soaken rotor.

I've never seen a vented rotor that didnt pull air in the open back while forcing hot air out the top. Air is gonna come out the top regardless.

I've never seen a vented rotor that didnt pull air in the open back while forcing hot air out the top. Air is gonna come out the top regardless.

Almost all racing rotors and quite a few aftermarket upgrades use curved vane rotors which are directional. They will not cool as efficiently if installed backwards.

-Todd

Almost all racing rotors and quite a few aftermarket upgrades use curved vane rotors which are directional. They will not cool as efficiently if installed backwards.

Performance rotors sure. On replacements for an Aerostar I never saw it on any rotor I sold.

100_6987.jpg
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss295/codytrx/100_6987.jpg

I like it. One small suggestion -- you can take it or leave it -- would be to paint the oval on the calipers ford blue. If the lettering shows as silver (even if it is indented) it would really pop.

Thanks guys. That's a great suggestion and I'll probably end up doing that. I have to get some high heat clear coat and probably get some Ford Blue and do that too. I want to repaint the caliper brackets Ford Blue anyways.
Here's what they look like back on the car. I can't wait to get my new struts so I can throw my Intrax's on! Too much wheel gap.
100_7020.jpg

100_7022.jpg

they were on the one's I sold;) I'am not saying that they had slots or cross drilled holes just curved cooling fins that exhale hot not inhale cold
for example note the different part numbers for the rotors

I know what you're saying but I've sold probably a thousand rotors and never noticed anything curved on an oem style replacement. Plenty of them have left and right part numbers but I never noticed anything different about the vents. A lot of times on slightly older models the right/left numbers would be replaced in the system by one number which always made me think the left/right difference was nothing to worry about it the first place. :)

I know what you're saying but I've sold probably a thousand rotors and never noticed anything curved on an oem style replacement. Plenty of them have left and right part numbers but I never noticed anything different about the vents. A lot of times on slightly older models the right/left numbers would be replaced in the system by one number which always made me think the left/right difference was nothing to worry about it the first place. :)
so maybe I'am just showing my age:help: :rolleyes:

No need to roll your eyes. All I'm saying is I never noticed anything odd about rotors that came as left/right. They all looked like the straight vents that every other rotor had.

Please go read the Brakes section before you mention one word on slotted and drilled rotors.

As for the blue paint, not my thing!

-Andy

No need to roll your eyes. All I'm saying is I never noticed anything odd about rotors that came as left/right. They all looked like the straight vents that every other rotor had.

I guess I am with you, I never paid attention as to whether there was a difference so I guess I dont know. However since I did buy and install brakes from time to time, I guess it would make sense that the difference between left and right would be the orientation of the vanes.

Back